Chapter 22: The Writing on the Wall

❖~~~~~~~~❖⟡❖~~~~~~~~❖

"And that's Test 2 completed...good work Nemesis," a gruff voice spoke over the intercom, its static undertones making the man behind the microphone more of a robot than human. It wasn't anyone familiar, you knew that for sure.

They had arrived early that morning, barely allowing time to cram down a hearty breakfast of hashbrowns before you were ushered into an Umbrella Corporation van and blasted off to their compound. From there, the maze of doors and hallways awaited you once more, before being led to a training area much larger and fancier than the last sparring area you had been in with Silverwolf. Fitted with gigantic steel machines that tested speed, strength, and other attributes, a large rectangular window sat contoured at the highest point of a far wall, where barely visible silhouettes stood.

"Strength far proceeds previous records taken from U.A...speed as well...interesting...now if you don't mind Nemesis, we'll be moving on to Test 3."

Chugging a bottle of hydrating substance, you shrugged nonchalantly. If anything, they were very similar to the introductory tests taken when you first got into the high school for heroes. Thankfully, compared to the giant robots from the entrance exam, they wouldn't be able to fit in this relatively small space. At least, you hoped.

You hadn't heard the large sliding door as it opened to your far right, but the echoed clacking of shoes made its way to your ears as you glanced over.

"Well if it isn't saucy (Y/N)? I'm just a little too late, as usual..." His deep voice that had been buried so long ago in your mind sprung into the light, a warm feeling enveloping your face and making you smile ear to ear. Sprinting forward and scooping the man up in a bone-crushing bear hug, he chuckled heartily, before lightly paying your shoulder to put him down.

"Easy son, I'm old," The man laughed again, mocking an ache in his back. His gelled-back hair, the small glasses that sat on his nose, his mustard tie, everything was just like you had seen ages ago.

"Where the hell have you been Bob?!" You chided with a grin, stepping back and getting a better look at the man who had disappeared from your life for quite some time. Instead of his original blue suit when you were visited in the hospital, he donned full jet black attire, other than his aforementioned tie.

"I've been busy, kid. I see you finally decided to wake up from your power nap, huh?" He teased, poking you in the forehead. "And taller too...I'll have to get used to that."

"I apologize for cutting this reunion short," The static voice over the intercom spoke. "But can we commence Test 3?"

A visible vein bulged on your head at his remark. "Fine. What is the test?"

A soft hand was placed on your forearm. You looked up to see the smiling face of Bob.

"You're looking at him."

A rush of wind, your neck lurched to the side, and suddenly your back slammed into the distant wall, punching the air out of your lungs and leaving you breathless. Slumping to the floor you fought back a bit of bile that was beginning to rise, confusion of the whole situation overriding anything else. After a moment you began to stand on shaking legs, looking at Bob with a jumbled symphony of emotions.

"What happened to you?" You asked before your body began to crack and reshape into its transformation.

"Come at with all you got! Don't hold back!" He yelled, clenching his fists.

Something switched off in your psyche, no longer seeing the person you had missed. Rational thought was pushed aside, replaced by the pure instinct of fight or flight. Something the NE-α parasite most likely did to some part of your brain, you guessed before your body jumped into action on its own.