Chapter 23: Death doesn't grin, Death Smiles

❖~~~~~~~~❖⟡❖~~~~~~~~❖

"It has been much too long? Wouldn't you agree?"

The sound of sloshing liquid emanated somewhere behind you, followed immediately by short coughs and sputtering curses. Turning around slowly, your eyes fell upon a familiar head of blonde spiky hair as his arm came to wipe at his mouth.

"Damn it...the hell...?!" Bakugo coughed out, sending the same inky liquid that had erupted out of you to the ground as well. He looked up from his choking fit, only for his eyes to widen at seeing one of his classmates.

"...(Y/N)...?" He wheezed, confusion etched in his angry features.

"Sorry, Bakugo, (Y/N)," The metallic voice spoke once more, causing you both to turn in haste. Though once again, both of your attentions were taken away as a symphony of spilling raven liquid entered the clearing around the three of you. A green lizard man was the first to fall to the ground on his hands and knees, his tongue hanging limply out of his mouth as disgusting sounds were ejected from the bellows of his throat.

"What the-" A girl that seemed to be slightly older than you in some peculiar school attire stood clutching a palm around her mouth, messy buns shaking with the rest of her body. Meanwhile, a man dressed in a full charcoal and gray bodysuit seemed to be arguing with himself on the smell. Others stood around the circle, a masked man with a top hat and a buff-looking man with sunglasses, along with a duo of unconscious bodies, but your concern was locked on the crouched man with that annoying familiar mop of blue hair.

"Master..." Tomura Shigaraki breathed out, slightly bowing his head.

"You failed again, huh, Tomura?" The metallic voice in the business suit spoke. He began to walk towards the person in question, his shoes echoing against the concrete. Your voice was still caught in your throat, but the parasite had gone silent, your body feeling like stone and unmoving.

"Do not be discouraged." He remarked. "Just try again. I have brought your associates back as well."

"Even this child. Because you judged that he was an important piece." Now at his feet, he stuck a grainy hand out to Shigaraki. "Do it over as many times as you need to. That is why I am here. It's all for you."

"Though I am slightly disappointed." Tomura flinched at the words. "You could have brought me (Y/N) so much sooner. It would have made things so much easier. But no matter. He is here now."

Bakugo's confusing glare snapped back to you, to which you could give no answer. Your right hand clenched into a fist, feeling the clamminess in your fingers and palm. Most of these people here had unknown powers, but Shigaraki was no problem as long as you kept him at a distance. Kurogiri, one of the unconscious people on the ground would have made for a problem if not for him being face first in the dirt. It would be a stupid gambit, but you needed to get the hell out of this situation. A quick transformation, a leap into the air, and they'd have no chance to react. But then what of Bakugo? There were too many unknown variables. You inwardly cursed yourself.

"I wouldn't think of doing anything hasty, (Y/N)," The metallic voice turned to you, the blackness of the mask almost looking as though it was grinning. "We still have much to discuss."

"W...who the hell are you?" You tried to steady your words, but it felt like the life was being squeezed out of your lungs.

"You truly don't remember me? Such a shame..." He voiced, slightly cocking his head like that of a hanged man. "I guess you were too young to remember..."

The faces of the others around you faded into colorless smudges, and noises of crumbling stone and crackling fire dulled into silence.

The icy cold that had wracked your body began to dissipate, repossessed with a burning, painful sensation that exploded through your skull. With strained gasps you brought a shaky hand to your head, gripping at the hairs tightly for any kind of release.