Chapter 19: Separate Ways

❖~~~~~~~~❖⟡❖~~~~~~~~❖

Ragged breath. Dulled hearing. The choppy rocking of something on water that made your stomach flip. With flickering eyelids, you gazed upon a shabby overhead light, though much too bright for your eyes at the moment. The lids of your eyes flinched back to offer some frail protection from the harsh glare before a firm hand came to rest upon your shoulder.

"Hey now, take it easy. Breathe." An unknown feminine voice soothed. The buzz in your head was slowly dissipating, before feeling the harsh cold of some metal tray that you realized you were lying on. Recovering slowly in such a situation was something unbeknownst to you before, the closest comparison being the hospital from long ago, yet still, you tried to rack your mind for any resemblance of this mystery woman in your brain.

Something began to sting on the sides of your arms, on certain splotches of your legs, and a large area from your shoulder blade to your neck. Against the cold metal, the pain was multiplied. The grip on your shoulder became firmer, and you forced yourself to look at the owner through the pain.

Blue tank top. The events began to hit you all at once, from the burning building to that monstrous abomination that reminded you too much of yourself. The city. You shot up from the tray, ignoring the pain and looking out the nearest window to your right. 

The waters beneath you seemed paler than usual, finally understanding you were on a boat. In the distance, there it was. The once magnificent city. Brought to ruin so quickly. Large plumes of smoke still dotted the sky, even from such a far distance. The once colossal buildings merely looked like specks of here, shining in the early dawn light. It was dawn. Just how long were you out?

A door opened from somewhere behind you. "Finally. Took you long enough, you're up just in time." The familiar voice of Wesker rang out. You turned to greet him, meeting his eyes with a worried look. Surprisingly, he had his glasses off. But he wasn't looking at you. Merely looking behind your shoulder with a cold look. Turning to where his gaze lay, you locked eyes with the woman from before, who was also giving a dead stare.

The animosity in the room was palpable.

"Come with me to the top deck, (Y/N). You're going to want to see this." He grinned, before looking back at the woman. "Ms. Valentine can join us as well. If she would be so inclined."

"I would like nothing more, captain." She grunted through gritted teeth. 

On the way up the small group passed a multitude of people, some wrapped in tattered cloths while others were being tended to by Wesker's underlings. One you recognized as Brad, who shared a smile with you as he stood up. He silently fell in line alongside the now-dubbed Ms. Valentine, who seemed to get reacquainted with each other as old friends or such.

Reaching the top deck gave you a clearer sight of the once glorious city off at the horizon. The sound of the waves began clearer as well. A multitude of eyes stared at you; other refugees from the city that either you or Wesker's people saved.

"We've got exactly...thirty seconds to impact," Wesker announced, laying a hand on your shoulder. Ms. Valentine stood at your other side, casually greeting you with the name Jill. Meanwhile, all other sets of sunken eyes stared back out at the city, morbid curiosity stinging in their eyes.

"Are we far enough away?" You asked aloud. Silence.

"Probably," Wesker admitted. 

With his unsure observation, all you could do was join the crowd and their breathless waiting.

At first, it was merely a flash of blinding white light.

Then there was the sound. It started as a small pop, but suddenly your senses were barraged by one continuous explosion through your eardrums. A visible wave of dust and debris began rolling outward from the city like a rampaging stampede, rushing over the waters as a large mushroom of black and grey began to take shape. The waters themselves began to thrash around like angry animals, causing the boat to rock wildly. From the distance you were at, the choppy waters and sharp gusts of wind were all you had to worry about, but none of it mattered as your gaze transfixed itself upon that mighty cloud.