18 - Something He Shouldn't Have Seen

The grand clocktower stood over the academy, its stone walls worn with time and firm as the most ancient piece of the academy. The three intricate clock hands moving at different speeds. Huey swung his legs over the ledge by the belfry and leaned against the frame. It was his first time going up the clock tower, his first time being so high up in the academy. Overlooking the vista of the campus while the autumn breeze caressed his face.

Being so high up was fascinating to him. To the him who never stopped and took a quiet moment like this until reincarnation. To the him who never appreciated the things around him, this moment was enlightening and foreignly nostalgic.

Huey breathed in the cool air and looked down, surprisingly not experiencing vertigo. He saw fellow students walk down the well paved path with friends laughing and chattering away but too far to be heard. He looked up. Two birds swooped across the sky, diving into the sea of clouds and surfacing back like sky sprites. The thick fluffy clouds lapping over each other like a pile of fluffy pillows, hospitable and warm, acted as their playground. Inviting you to jump into its embrace.

He closed his eyes, remembering a fact that stuck with him through the years. Where, according to the whispering lullabies of mothers to her children, angels and gods dance across the clouds when the sun is blocked, waltzing in the sunlight isolated for divinity in that brief moment of time.

Simply a children's story, as ludicrous as it comes, but it stayed with him ever since he overhood a parent cradling a baby while singing the lullaby. It was far from familiar, his mother doesn't sing after all, but the scene did invoke some sort of... something.

The wind tousled his hair, making his bangs tickle his face.

It was soothing, but unfortunately ephemeral.

In twenty minutes lunch break will end and if he didn't leave soon the bell behind him would then ring and blast his eardrums to smithereens.

Not very pleasant.

The rational part of him suggested he go now because going down alone should take five minutes excluding the time it takes to get to his classroom, but...

'Just a bit longer..' The other part of him won.

Listening to the birds singing a minute longer, Huey swung himself onto the belfry, picked up his bag, and moved towards the trap door in the corner. Musing to himself while walking down the winding steps.

By the time he arrived at class, he had interrupted the start of the professor's lecture. Good thing he was only a couple minutes late and the teacher easily dismissed him, resuming the speech. Muttering an apology Huey quietly settled into his seat and began focusing on Mr. Clark's words.

"As I've stated before, our class and Mr. Eden's class will be performing the annual play together in the Winter Showcase. I'll distribute the play script at the end of class, so remember to read over the story carefully when class ends. Last class we left off on the tyrant blood emperor Yule the third and his reign over the people and I gave everyone homework to finish section 5.3 of the textbook and finish the guiding questions. Who would like to share their answers?"

The class remained silent.

—*:・゚*✧ —

"So..." Kayson drawled, "What are you doing to that Wolint guy?"

Huey smiled, "You'll see~"

Making a turn in the hall the two came upon a double door that leads to the Combat and Weaponry's club room, the doors which were half blocked out by the students crowding around it. Kayson whistled looking at the collective of students mixed in uniforms of red, black, and white. From beside him Huey glanced at the clock conveniently anchored on the wall and read out the time. If he remembered correctly, the club should start ten minutes after dismissal.