36 - Announcement

Kayson kicked a pebble in his way, hands stuck in his pockets. The group was unsuccessful in prying information out of Kade. Despite spilling something important (judging by how he refused to elaborate), the prince was surprisingly good at keeping his mouth shut against peer pressure.

The Nevoid young master moped, his broody mood shared by Nicholas. Huey sighed; though they couldn't get Kade to speak, there were enough context clues to piece together the truth. They're going on an island––all of them––which would mean it's likely an academy event, but why? To help students relax? Though it may sound nice, considering many students were still mourning their friends or recovering from severe injuries, such an idea was insensitive! It's like taping a bandaid over an open wound, waiting to rot!

Oh, sorry about the casualties. How about we have fun at the beach and forget about all that?

Huey frowned. There was no way the academy would make such a stupid mistake. Still, possibilities are possibilities, even if they seem illogical. Huey stopped, turning to Kayson and Nicholas. After ' persuading ' Kade proved useless, they have long since separated from Sorin and the others (the prince even running away at the end).

"Stop being so mopey. Even without the details, His Highness practically revealed we'll be going on an island." Huey crossed his arms. Red eyes half-lidded in exasperation.

"I know that I'm not stupid." Kayson bristled. His arms crossed, irritation spreading onto his expression. "I just wanna know why. I gotta prepare!"

"Prepare what? Your three months overdue project?" Nicholas chimed in this time.

"You shut up! The school was closed, and I couldn't just saunter to my professor's house and say, 'Howdy sir, sorry I couldn't present because demonic monsters and explosions were destroying the school! Here's my project,' could I?!?"

The blonde just shrugged, holding his chin in 'thought.' "Last I recall, the project was due a week before the Winter Showcase."

"Both of you stop," Huey was content with letting the two banter, occasionally joining too, but he'd instead continue the conversation. "I don't think the school would let us go on an island getaway the moment we return anyway."

Kayson visibly (what could only be described as) deflated, then scowled. "So what other reasons to go on an island?"

Vacation's crossed out, then... exploration? Wilderness survival course? Maybe...

Huey paused, his finger tapping the side of his arm. That was a possibility, but... he shook his head.

"Nicholas," The blonde perked up at the mention. "Do we have any assemblies planned? Aside from the welcome-back one, of course."

"I do think we have one four days from now."

Kayson snorted, "You think they'll announce it there?"

Nicholas nodded. "Probably, the only reason Prince Kade knows is because he's the prince, and the whole thing needs royal permission. So, considering it's approved, we should hear news soon."

✦ ✧

Days went by exceedingly slowly, but it's finally reached the anticipated day. Kayson had gone around sharing their idea with the rest of Sorin and co, so now all six of them (Kade was nowhere to be seen) were glaring impatiently at the clock as though it was an extremely offensive sign.

"Assembly begins after this block." Sorin helpfully reminded though it was more of a low mutter under his breath. A reminder for himself, perhaps?

Celine whined. Her hands clenched into fists at her side. "Oh, what if they don't announce it today?"