29 - Brothers can be betrayers too

Huey sighed loudly. The sensation of it thrumming in his vocal throats transmitted to his fingers as he touched his throat. The tangy feeling was gone now and few days had passed since that incident. The break was fast approaching its end and as each hour ticked by Huey lamented the official debut of demonkind in the plot more. He slumped into the seat, languidly eyeing Kayson finishing his homework in the corner. The other youth scribbled madly on the crinkled sheets of paper no doubt having been forgotten in a bag until the last minute.

Abruptly the wild scritch scratching of pen against paper stopped before being replaced by crinkling as Kayson held up the pile of homework into the sky.

"I'm done!" He exclaimed triumphantly and fell backwards into the cushions he placed on the ground beforehand with relief.

Huey gave small little claps with the tip of his fingers before reluctantly climbing out of his spot and plopping down into the pillow pile as well. His friend voiced protest but when'd he ever listen?

Kayson sneered as he shoved Huey's limp arm off. "What's gotten you so listless?"

"What else?" The black haired boy grumbled into the cushions. It took a second for Kayson's after-work addled brain to remember. Once he did he 'ohhhhed' loudly and then clutched his head.

"Aghhh! I hate novels! It's always trouble after trouble let people catch a break!!" He whined and squirmed.

Likewise, Huey's head began throbbing by the emphasis further empowered by the shifting and wriggly body beside him. Clicking his tongue, with a huff he rolled himself on top of Kayson and pinned him still with his body weight. As though the contact had sucked all the energy out of them, both youths laid on/under each other lethargically. Fortunately none of the newly appointed servants walked in lest they witness two of the kingdom's most important nobles in the new generation stack on top of each other like a + sign... it would really break first impressions.

But there'd be no first impressions to break if there already was one... right?

"How long are the two of you going to sloth away?" A stoic and deep voice shot through the torpid atmosphere and rippled goosebumps up their limbs. Any sluggishness was wiped away as they sprang up in shock.

"M-Mr. Joseph?? How long have you been there?" Kayson cried out, Huey soon followed.

"Why are you here?" Isn't he supposed to be back home??!!! Huey sobbed.

The older man standing at the doorway chuckled, "You didn't think I'd let you go a whole week here without training did you? Get up! Let's see if you were slacking off at the academy." For the first time Huey thought that Mr. Joseph should've been the one born with red eyes.

✦ ✧

The two collapsed onto the ground with sweat dripping down their faces and back. Unlike Kayson who still had the energy to sit he had completely fallen to the ground, stomach heaving up and down. After finally completing the training regime (that they did not miss at all) their clothes felt grimey and uncomfortable against their skin. All Huey wished for at the moment was a gallon of water and a refreshing bath. The only saving grace they had was the chill of the winter air soothing their heated cheeks (because yes, of course Mr. Joseph being the inhumane ex-admiral would force them to train like the military, outside, in winter).

Owen soon came out with a tray of water and quickly handed both of them (who looked like they were gulping enough air to swallow the whole sky) a cup. Along the way he noted the various bruises and red that bloomed on their skin most likely formed from the sparring the admiral made them do. He shook his head and left them to enjoy the beverage. The butler strode up to Mr. Joseph with a frown.