19 - Do Your Part

"I feel sick." Was the first thing Kayson mumbled out with his face pressed against the floor of their dorm when they got back. The entire walk impossibly heavy.

From the doorway Huey glanced at the deflated body of his friend with mushrooms growing out. Putting away his bag, he went to squat beside the face-planted Kayson and patted his head apologetically.

"Sorry, what do you want?"

Kayson (somehow) shrugged. "Mm.. I can't think of anything right now."

"Then how about three favors? I do owe you a lot." Huey proposed, propping up three fingers. For nobility, favors aren't a simple run of a mill thing to just casually hand out like charity, so this should be adequate. 

Turning his head, Kayson squinted up at him miserably and acquiesced, "Ok." His scowl loosening up with pessimistic acceptance.

Huey helped Kayson up while shouting encouragement that went from one ear through the next. Understandable since he needs to fight Sorin tomorrow, even though it's just a spar. He does not want to be sent flying like Kade yesterday and chances are no strong heroines will save him.

Huey scrutinized Kayson carefully. Now very desperately wanting to turn back time and slap his impatient self in the face. Why couldn't he just wait? Patience is a virtue!

Kayson sighed and dragged a palm over his face.

"I'm gonna die..."

"You're exaggerating, it's a light spar without magic and Sorin is at his weakest in the plot right now. Not to mention you're plenty strong yourself. You'll be fine."

"And he at his weakest is still a generational prodigy who sent the prince flying." Kayson sniped back.

"And you're a close target in the prodigy poll who defeated a sea monster. Calm down, it's not like you're aiming to win, just last long enough so you won't embarrass yourself."

"That doesn't help." He moued.

"Ok well," crossing his arms, a dim light ball lit up above Huey's head. "Want to practice?"

Kayson tilted his head.

Huey smiled wryly. "I barely ever won, but I did fight with Sorin a couple times and followed his life through the novel. So I'm pretty familiar with his fighting habits, I can tell you and—"

"Let's do it!" Kayson cried out with vigor, fists clenched.

"Alright, but..."

"?"

"Me simply telling you wouldn't work, for these types of stuff you're gonna have to actually experience it."

Kayson looked at him like he was a fool, he made a grimace. "I can't go to him and ask if I can fight him to practice for our fight tomorrow."

Huey rolled his eyes. "I obviously know that, what I meant was that I try and replicate the moves and you practice responding to it."

Kayson was skeptical. "You? Are you sure you can imitate him? I know you're the ex-villain and all that, but I doubt a couple months' with Mr. Joseph can substitute for all the years you missed as Elijah."

"No not at all," he said matter of factly. "But it's better than nothing."

"Well if you put it that way..." Slowly, he nodded. "So where do we go?"

The other thought a bit before outstretching a hand. "Give me your watch," he ordered.

Without questioning, Kayson took off the artifact and handed it to Huey, watching as he began fiddling with the holographic feature.