21 - Trio To Our Duo

"Nicholas..."

Huey clenched and unclenched his fist. He forced his breathing to stabilize as he focused on the back of the blonde's head, getting further and further away. Looking melancholically at him Huey found himself thinking.

'...Should I run?' But quickly ruled it out. After all they do share the same homeroom, it'd just be futile. He sighed, with how this path leads to the dormitories that means the two of them are going the same way. Huey dragged his hand across his face and covered his mouth.

'Calm down, this is a different timeline none of that's happened, calm down.' He rationalized and walked forwards with as much impassivity as he could muster.

It was really just a matter of time before Nicholas saw him. He'd expected it, but it still sent shocks of fraught nerves through his body. Still, he continued walking forwards while Nicholas moved towards him.

"Good evening Huey, I apologize for my absence." He greeted him with a small smile. Nothing big, nothing close. Just like how the exchanges always were between them.

Huey greeted him back, prompting a question as well. "Why were you absent?"

A sliver of a wry smirk appeared on the blonde's face. "You know how my father is."

Huey hummed in understanding. The baron was always a disappointing lout, more or less shunned by the rest of high society. Recklessly spending money, neglecting his familial duties, and flaunting with prostitutes wherever he went. It was a relief and miracle the barony hasn't fallen into debt yet. The Vergis Household had four children with Nicholas being the second youngest and only one with commoner blood. Because of that he was shunned by his family especially by those greedy opportunist relatives. Furthermore, his older siblings were cruel enough as is could not compare to their mother. Pure indifference and complete disregard for Nicholas. Darlyne Vergis is a woman with a stone heart. Huey wouldn't put it past her if she's been manipulating the baron the entire time, slowly absorbing the house.

"When'd you get here?" Huey asked, the answer already circling in his mind.

"Just today, I finished unpacking and was just coming back from the dean's office." He crossed his arms. "By the way, Huey, why did you not respond to any of my letters over the summer?" Nicholas' olive green eyes gazed into his curiously.

Huey lightly scrunched up his brows, confused. "I didn't receive any letters, my uncle must have interceded." He concluded.

"I see, and I know I'm asking more questions than normal but are the rumors true?"

He tilted his head. "Rumors?"

The blonde nodded, recounting what he heard with a weird expression. "I overheard a couple students say that you were seen with three of the watch dogs, and you're good friends with one of them? I thought you didn't like them." He looked down, eyes covered by half-lidded eyes. Speaking before Huey could, "They say you've changed, kinder, different."

Looking at the way Nicholas was subtly begging for answers, Huey couldn't bare to keep eye contact. Not when he knows how capricious his moods can be. He took in a deep breath before speaking, his voice shaking at the start as though the words were struggling to get out. Vowels not sounding, tone cracking.

"...I was foolish, blinded by my hate and spite. I've afflicted many with my petty need for revenge," He closed his eyes and looked back up. "I want to change, Nicholas. I no longer care for my family, and I no longer wish to bring fear to my peers. And, I think it'd be better for both you and I if we forget about our deal. You're your own person. I can't tie you to me and force you to do my bidding."