Chapter Twenty

Tessa

The entire time I was getting ready with Charlotte, my mind was racing, replaying that last dance with Levi. The way he held me when he dipped me to the floor and the look in his eyes made my soul quiver.

What the hell was that about!

I can't feel that way again. I can't!

Levi is a selfish jerk who can't keep it in his pants. He'll only hurt me. I won't let that happen again.

I'm still not fully recovered from the last time I let him in. Why the fuck would I even consider it again?

Charlotte stuck her head inside the bathroom, saving me from a tedious trip down yet another Levi Daniels rabbit hole. "Hey, J's on his way to pick us up. You almost ready?"

"Yeah, I just need to find my purse, and I'm good to go," I told her, grateful for the distraction.

Hopefully, this night out with my favorite people will help me forget what happened tonight at Miss Josephine's studio. I can pretend Levi doesn't exist if he even decides to show.

I take one last look in the mirror, making sure everything is presentable before meeting Char in her bedroom.

She's playing with her phone when I walk in, tapping away happily on the screen. As soon as she hears me approach, she looks me up and down with a smile on her face. "Damn, bestie! You look hot. You're going to be swatting away guys all night."

A genuine smile curls on my lips at her compliment.

"Jason is outside," she informs me. "It's time to go cut loose!"

Charlotte and I head for the door as she grabs her purse and overnight bag. We told her parents we were having a girls' night later, so they wouldn't give her shit about staying at Jason's tonight after the club.

Mr. and Mrs. Rose delighted at the idea of Char and I having a sleepover like old times. We didn't ruin the illusion for them, but we both knew that when the night was over, she wouldn't be staying in the guest bedroom with me.

When we reached the landing, we saw Jason chatting with Char's dad about his latest golf game. He beamed at my best friend as he wrapped up his discussion with her dad. Shortly after, Charlotte's mom told us to have a good time and stay safe as we made our way to the door.

I was dreading seeing Levi, unsure how I'd react after everything that happened at the studio. My wild heartbeat calmed a bit as we got closer to Jason's car. The passenger seat was empty.

No Levi.

Maybe this night will be better than I thought.

A sigh of relief left my lungs as Jason opened the door to help Charlotte in her seat. It's going to be a great night.

I opened the back door, and my stomach dropped. Inside, staring at me with a startled expression, was Levi. I couldn't see him before through the heavy tint on Jason's back windows.

Of course, this night won't be that easy.

"Uh, J always has Charlotte sit shotgun," Levi mumbled awkwardly as he slid over, giving me his previously occupied seat.

Unable to trust my words, I simply nodded. A few seconds passed as I took a deep, calming breath, hoping it would ease my nerves. When it didn't, I surrendered to my fate and slipped into the car.

~

The ride to the club was awkward, at least for Levi and me. We sat in uncomfortable proximity as J and Char conversed about how well things went at the studio. It was clear that they were so excited about everything, so I made an effort to look enthused as well, planting a smile on my face and nodding along as they spoke.

The moment Jason put the car in park, I launched myself outside, needing room to breathe. Levi mimicked my actions on his side of the car, eyeing me cautiously as Jason and Charlotte led the way into the club.

It hadn't even crossed my mind that they'd want to come to the same club I was almost roofied at last weekend. When the realization hit me, my steps faltered.

Jason noticed right away. "Everything okay, Tess?"

I peeled my eyes from the front door of the club, looking at my big brother. "Uh-huh. I'm great; I just caught my shoe on something."

Lucky for me, he bought it and continued toward the club with Char on his arm. No one had told Jason about what happened that night. That's the way I wanted to keep it.

I don't know why I did it, but I looked over at Levi. He was watching me warily, no doubt remembering the night that I was. The look of concern he wore made my heart stutter. He gave me the briefest of nods, reassuring me that it was okay. I gave him a tight smile in response, forcing my feet to move toward the club. 

A/N:

Thank you for taking the time to check out The Summer Before. If you are enjoying the book so far, don't be afraid to vote and/or comment and let me know :)

Every vote and comment helps elevate the story so others will be more likely to find it on Wattpad and hopefully enjoy it as much as you all have.

Keep sending in those predictions. I always love hearing what you think is happening, or is going to happen next!

Til next time, have a wonderful day!

❤️