Chapter Fifty-One

Levi

It's been a few weeks since I went to Surf City to see Tessa. When I left, I had a tiny flicker of hope that she'd forgive me and we could move past everything that happened between us since my fuck up last summer.

That flicker almost burned out in the first week. I was giving Tessa the space she asked for, which meant refraining from texting her every thirty minutes like I wanted to. It almost killed me. Waiting for her to say something was so hard.

I had no idea what was going through her mind. If she'd give me another chance, if she'd decided she wanted nothing more to do with me- I had no clue either way. That was the hardest part. Not knowing where we stood.

I grabbed my phone several times to text or call her to stave off my anxiety, but I'd stop myself at the last second with the reminder of giving Tessa what she begged for. Space. Time.

Really, it wasn't much to ask for, but I was dying to know where her head was. I knew where I stood, but after I told Tessa my side of the story and confessed why I did what I did at the bar that night, I could see how deeply I'd hurt her. I had no clue where her head and heart were at. It was the biggest question on my mind.

Would she give me another chance?

By the start of the second week, I was starting to go crazy, tempted to make another trip to Tessa, to beg her for another chance if I had to. Going the route of the desperate man wouldn't look good. She asked for time, and I had to give that to her.

Before I lost my mind completely, she reached out with a simple hey, and I almost exploded with joy. I texted back with my own greeting, telling her honestly how happy I was that she was talking to me again.

For the next two weeks, we would chat off and on throughout the day. Neither of us brought up last summer or the blowout this summer. We were walking a thin line, and both of us seemed ready to proceed with caution, unsure of where our futures led.

We spoke about work and other safe topics like the weather, how our friends were doing, what we had planned for the weekend, and simple things like that. It was nice. Normal, even. It made me remember how things used to be when I was just her brother's best friend, and she was the cute neighbor girl I had a crush on.

I was shocked the night she called instead of texted. My heart beat faster, and my mind turned to mush. I picked up the phone, eager to hear her voice, hoping she was calling with good news.

"Hey, Tessa. It's great to hear from you!"

Her voice came through my earpiece like velvet. "Hey, Levi. How are you?"

"I'm okay. I was just laying here thinking about you, actually," I told her honestly as a wave of courage surged through me.

Tessa giggled on the other end of the phone, making my senses come alive. It had been so long since I heard her laugh. "I'm happy to hear it," she said.

After a pregnant pause, she continued. "I've been thinking about you too."

A wide grin spread over my lips. "Yeah? What about me?"

"It's been nice talking to you again. You know, like we used to." I could hear a hint of sadness in her voice. It grated me, knowing how much time we'd lost because of what I'd done.

"It's been amazing, Tess. I've missed this more than I can say."

"Me too," she whispered.

Unsure what to say next, I sat quietly, waiting, giving her time to collect her thoughts as I listened to her soft breaths flowing in and out. I don't know how long we sat quietly listening to one another, but it had a calming effect. We both seemed to fall into a state of contentment.

Tessa hummed lightly on the other end before saying, "I'll be in town next weekend."

A lightning bolt of excitement shot through me. She's coming back! Holy shit! I can't wait. I sat upright on my bed, smiling widely at what she'd just told me.

"You're really coming home? All weekend?" I couldn't hide the excitement in my voice.

Tessa chuckled again. "I am. It's Colin's birthday, and I've been told I can't miss it or else."

I laughed at the words I knew came straight from Colin. As much as we've butted heads over the last year, I was grateful that he was so stubborn. If anyone could ensure Tessa would come home for the weekend, it was him.

"Yeah, I wouldn't get on his bad side if I were you." I know all too well how that goes.

"Oh, believe me, I know."

I didn't want to seem too eager to steal some of her time while she was back, but I was aching to know her plans. "So, where are you staying?"

Tessa heaved a sigh. "I'm not sure yet. I may stay with Colin and Micah, but I don't know for sure."

I nodded, wishing she'd said she was staying here with J and Char- and me. "Well, I know Jason and Charlotte wouldn't mind if you stayed in your room here." And I'd love it if you were close.

Tessa hummed as if she was considering her options. "I'll talk to Colin and Charlotte and decide later. I have a few days to mull it over."

"Of course. Whatever you want, Tess." My words were loaded. I wasn't just talking about her weekend rooming options. Whatever she wanted, I was poised to give it to her. All she had to do was ask. And I was praying she would.

"Yeah," she said, "I'll figure that out and fill everyone in. I just thought you'd like to know what was happening next weekend. I didn't know if you'd heard yet, and I know you aren't big on surprises."

"Seeing you is a surprise I'd never get sick of." The words echoed in the speaker. I thought they were said in my mind, but they escaped without me realizing it.

My eyes widened as I heard Tessa inhale sharply. Fuck, did I take it too far?

I waited for her to respond, kicking myself, thinking I'd pushed too far too soon. I didn't want her to feel pressured into making any decisions about us before she was ready, but I probably just messed that all up.

I pinched the bridge of my nose, shaking my head. The words that fell from her lips next sucked the air right out of my lungs.

"I'm excited to see you too, Levi."

A quiet gasp escaped me before she continued, "I should probably let you go. I have an early shift in the morning, but we'll talk tomorrow?"

Her words came out as a question, and I didn't hesitate to answer. "Yeah, Tess. We'll talk tomorrow."

"Goodnight, Levi."

"Sleep tight, babe." The word slipped out. It was too late to take it back. I waited anxiously for Tessa's reaction, hoping I hadn't rewound the progress we'd been making.

I thought I heard her breathing hitch. "I can't wait to see you," she whispered before ending the call, leaving me stunned and smiling like a jackass.

She can't wait to see me.

And I definitely can't wait to see her.

Maybe things are looking up for us after all. The days wouldn't pass quickly enough before next weekend. That much was certain. 

A/N:

Tessa's coming back to town... What do you think will happen?