Chapter Fifty-Three

Tessa

It was exactly ten minutes before Colin and Micah pulled up outside my parents' house. They came inside to collect me and say hello to my mom and dad. Colin was bursting with energy as he chatted animatedly with Mom about our plans for the evening, telling her thank you for the gift she bought him and ensuring my dad that we would all be safe tonight.

When we left, we drove straight to their apartment, where Charlotte and Leah were already waiting. One margarita and two detailed stories from Leah about her most recent "definitely not dates" with Landon later, we were piling into Char's Tahoe and heading to the mall.

The birthday boy decided he wanted to pick up a few things for tonight, and his parents gave him a very generous gift card to his favorite shop.

Colin picked a few items before rounding on me between stacks of the season's newest ensembles. "I think we need to get you something stunning for tonight."

I blinked at him several times before narrowing my eyes. "Why? Leah brought me something to wear already. Why would I need to get something new?"

Colin shrugged, turning his attention back to a rack of designer jeans. "I have an itch to shop, but shopping for me isn't hitting the spot right now. So, as my best friend, I feel it's only fair that you help me out, and by that, I mean you're going to let me dress you for tonight. It'll be fun."

This wasn't the first time Colin insisted on doing something like this. Fashion was his second favorite f-word, and he had incredible taste. I just couldn't help but feel he had an ulterior motive for doing so this time. I just wasn't sure what it was.

He led me to the women's section of the store, picking out items left and right, looking totally in his element. I watched him as he did, studying him suspiciously for any indication that he had some wild plan up his sleeve tonight- a plan that involved me, a plan he didn't want me to be aware of.

As if he noticed my stare, Colin met my eyes, and a look of exacerbation flooded his features. "What? Why do you look like that?"

"Like what?"

He sighed, waving his finger up and down my body. "Like that. You look like someone just told you to explain the secrets of the universe in Latin. What's with the face, Tess?"

I shook my head, deciding to let it go- for now. Ruining Colin's birthday was not something I wanted to do. "Nothing, I'm just trying to figure out what look you're going for here." I gestured to the pile of clothes in his arms.

"You know I can only wear one outfit tonight, right? I'm not doing a mid-celebration change. One outfit, and I'm staying in it all night, Colin."

A loud huff breezed through his lips. "I know, Tessa. I'm just trying to find the right combination here. We can't have you going out tonight looking anything less than fabulous."

I cocked a brow at him. "What about everyone else? Are you dressing them tonight too?"

Colin made a face, and with a wave of his hand, he replied, "I've already seen what everyone else is wearing. Char even sent a picture of the outfit she picked out for her hubby. You are my last holdout."

Something grabbed his attention, and he returned to focusing on the task at hand. He was deeply engrossed in wardrobe management, so I let him do his thing. Even if I were right about Colin's motives, I'd at least come out tonight with a fabulous outfit.

~

I rechecked my phone, hoping to see a text from Levi. I hadn't heard from him since this morning. He knew I was staying with my parents, and I'd told him I was going shopping with Colin, Micah, and the girls earlier. He told me to have fun, and that was the last thing he said to me all day.