Chapter Forty-Eight

Levi

My eyes snapped to meet Jason's, and he waited expectantly for my answer. Did he really think this could be fixed?

I swallowed before asking, "Do you think there's still a chance?"

J dropped his hands as his face relaxed minutely. He stepped closer to me. "I know my sister, and I know you. You're both stubborn and competitive, but you're also passionate, and you both love hard. If she didn't still have real feelings for you, she wouldn't have rushed out of here like she did that night."

His words renewed hope inside me. If he was right- and fuck, I hoped he was- then there may still be a slight chance that I could win Tessa back.

"What can I do?"

Jason frowned as he thought silently about what I would have to do to make things right with Tessa. After a while, he finally spoke. "You can't just call or text her. She probably wouldn't answer anyway. You need to make your move in person- prove to her that you're worth taking another chance on. Show her you're willing to do what it takes to get her back."

"Okay, but what can I do that will show her that? I messed up on a massive scale. What kind of gesture can cancel that out?"

J was silent for another several moments. As he contemplated how to get me off Tessa's shit list, I also wracked my brain for ideas.

Finding a solution to my problem was easier said than done. One thing was certain, though. I sighed, looking at Jason. "I need to see her. I have to put myself in front of her, make her see me, and get her to hear me out. How do I do that without her shutting the door in my face?"

He looked at me, nodding his head. "I think I have an idea."

I leaned closer, eager to hear what his brilliant plan was. As he explained, I listened intently. Several minutes passed as he shared his idea with me. By the end of his proposal, I had a glimmer of hope. It was a decent idea, and I had nothing better to suggest.

I just hoped it worked.

~

The entire drive to Surf City was nerve-wracking. My thoughts were racing, and I couldn't help the feeling of anxiety coursing through my body.

What if she refuses to see me? What if she tells me to go to hell? What if she hears me out and still shows me the door?

The thoughts were plaguing me, but I had to try. If there was even the tiniest glimmer of hope that Tessa still wanted me, I had to try.

Jason filled Charlotte in on what happened, and luckily, she was willing to help me. She found out Tessa's schedule for the week and told me when she would be home Saturday.

Everything was planned out. I'd get to her place shortly before she arrived and wait for her. Then came the hard part- getting her to listen to me. Jason had a few ideas for that hurdle; I just hoped one of them would work.

I'd sit outside her door all night and beg for her forgiveness if I had to. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

I could see the signs for Surf City up ahead. My heart was pounding. In just a few minutes, I'd be at Tessa's house, and I'd have to wait to see if Jason was right. If he wasn't- I don't even want to think about that possibility.

My stomach clenched the closer I came to her address. Please let her hear me out. Please, I need her to know how sorry I am. I need her in my life.

I parked the car in front of her house, taking a deep breath before opening the door. She would be home in the next fifteen minutes if everything worked as planned. That gives me just enough time to pull myself together.

Walking to her front door, I start going through what I want to say. I had it all thought out, what I'd say, how I'd beg her to forgive me, how I'd tell her how I've felt about her since we were kids. Everything was there in my head, ready to share with Tessa once she arrived.

When the sound of a car ebbing closer sounded, all of my plans evaporated away. Everything Jason and I thought of left my mind at the sound of Tessa's car coming toward me.

Can I do this? Will she listen?

She didn't seem to notice the car parked out front as she pulled into her driveway. She didn't seem to notice much at all. It was like she was stuck on autopilot, just going through the motions, just existing.

It hurt to know that it was because of me. I did that to her. And now I had to fix it. I steadied myself as her footsteps grew closer.

Here we go.

She was six feet away before she looked up and saw me. When she did, she jumped, startled that someone was at her door. Her confusion grew when she registered who was at her door.

I couldn't tell if she was angry to see me or just surprised. Either way, I had to take my shot before she shut me out for good.

"Hey, Tess."

She didn't say a word as she stood there, eyeing me warily. "Can we talk?" I asked.

Tessa looked away. "What do you want, Levi? Why are you here?"

I took a small step toward her. "I want to talk to you, to apologize for everything that I did. Tell you how sorry I am for screwing things up between us. I need-"

"No," she whispered. "I don't want to hear it, Levi."

My heart sank as she shook her head. "Tessa, please."

Tears welled in her eyes as she shuffled past me. "I can't do this right now. I can't."

My mind was racing as I struggled with my words. How could I stop this? How could I reach her before it was too late?

I heard the lock click, and I moved to her side. "Tessa, please just hear me out. I know I fucked up, but-"

Her eyes met mine in a hard stare. The green in her irises stood out against the redness etching itself into her creases. It was beautiful and devastating. She was hurting all over again because of me.

"Levi, just go."

The words I wanted to say were trapped in my throat as she shut the door in my face. With a loud click, she locked it behind her and, with it, sealed my fate.

Every contingency plan Jason and I had devised disappeared from my mind. Each carefully thought move would not show itself. I was lost. She wasn't going to budge, not without a miracle. And I had no idea what to do. 

A/N: 

Aww... poor Levi. Don't hate on Tessa too hard just yet. Who's hoping she'll open the door back up in 3, 2, 1....