Chapter Thirty-Three

Tessa

I spent the next three days avoiding Levi as much as possible for fear I'd crack and let him slip right back into my life- and bed- once again.

With last-minute wedding prep, Charlotte had a lot on her plate, so I used that as my excuse to avoid my brother's house. I stayed at her parents' place with her Sunday and Monday night, helping put the finishing touches on gift bags and hanging out like old times.

I was dead set on staying with her the rest of my time in Raleigh to ensure I didn't make a massive mistake with Levi. That is until Colin and Leah brought up an interesting point one night.

Tuesday, Charlotte and I met Leah at Colin's place. We'd decided to crash there for the night and have a bestie's night in, complete with trash TV, adult beverages, and lots of gossip. Micah had to work late, finishing a huge project for his firm. So, it was just the four of us hanging out like we used to.

With a few drinks in our systems, we were feeling great, laughing and joking about this or that, reminiscing about times past. It was the best night I'd had in a long time.

"So, Leah," Colin asked, "what's up with you and Landon?"

"Oooooo, yes, I second that question," Charlotte added, still sipping her margarita. "What's that all about?"

I couldn't help the giggle that slipped out of me. We all had our theories about what was up with those two, but we'd never actually heard Leah admit anything. Now, with a few drinks in her system and her inhibitions lowered, maybe she'd tell us something.

Playing coy, Leah replied, "Whaddya mean?"

"Oh, come on. You know what we mean," Colin snarked.

"How many times have you guys hooked up?" He rephrased his question with an eye roll.

I knew Char was feeling a buzz. Her cheeks were pink, and she was heavily engrossed in the discussion in front of her- almost more than she had been when we were paying attention to our trashy TV show. Her eyes flicked between Leah and Colin, waiting for an answer.

I didn't realize I was holding my breath, waiting just as excitedly as Charlotte until Leah finally answered.

"Six. We've hooked up six times."

My jaw dropped, and Charlotte let out a loud gasp. The only one who didn't seem the least bit surprised was Colin. "I knew it!"

I was still reeling from this information as Colin dug for more intel. "When did this happen?"

Leah shrugged. "Five times last summer and once this summer."

Charlotte and I exchanged a bewildered look through wide eyes.

"When did it happen? This summer, I mean." Colin was very invested in his line of questioning, squeezing Leah for every detail she'd willingly spill.

I watched everything play out like a reality show, absentmindedly bringing a cherry-flavored vine candy to my mouth.

Leah took a sip of her drink before responding like it was no big deal. "We hooked up at the club."

She looked at me. "It was the night I got that bartender's phone number. Do you remember? Mmm, he was yummy."

I remembered that night all too well, but not for the same reasons as Leah.