Chapter Thirty-Nine

A/N: So so excited to bring you all this chapter...

Levi

I lay awake most of the night thinking about what almost happened between Tessa and me at the end of the evening. That kiss- or almost kiss- had me reeling.

I wanted it badly, but I knew it wasn't right. She had been drinking, and she was still playing the game. That much was evident when she started flirting with Sid and trying to gauge my reaction.

Tessa wanted to provoke me. She tried to stir me up and drive me crazy- all part of the game.

It stung worse than it should have, knowing she was just going along with the game we'd started. But my new realization made things complicated.

Now, I couldn't just finish the game like I'd planned and move on. If I tried, I knew I'd be left an even emptier shell than I already was.

When she grabbed my hand and held it under the table, I almost let myself believe it was real. I almost let myself think we could fix everything and I could have everything I wanted with her once again. The little voice in my head reminded me that it wasn't real, though.

It was all just a game, and Tessa was playing to win. Or was she?

~

I didn't see much of her until the following evening. When I finally woke up from my restless slumber, I ventured downstairs to find Tessa and Charlotte had left for the day.

According to Jason, they were running last-minute errands before the rehearsal tonight. I was grateful for her absence. It gave me time to breathe while I tried to sort out the mess I'd made of my head.

Tessa would be back in Surf City in just a few more days, and our game would be over. I'd no longer have to agonize over saving face or outsmarting her with my next move. I would be free to go back to living my life without her.

But why was that thought so gut-wrenching? That's what I wanted since she showed back up. Now, the idea of her leaving is tearing me apart.

What if there's a way to fix things? What if I can win her back for good?

Would it be worth it? Would she even want that?

I guess there's only one way to find out...

~

I didn't see Tessa again until the wedding rehearsal. She'd avoided the house all day, opting to spend her time with Charlotte and the others. But she couldn't avoid me here.

No, this was one of the last things she was required to attend for J and Char's big day. She couldn't play the disappearing act here.

She could, however, avoid eye contact with me, speaking to me- interacting with me in general. And that's precisely what she did.

When it was our turn to walk down the aisle, she refused to look at me, and when she took my arm, she held on with the lightest of pressures. It seemed as if she would prefer walking alone to having anything to do with me.

I tried to talk to her- she ignored me. I attempted to make eye contact several times- she refused to give me any. By the end of the rehearsal dinner, I felt like my opportunity to fix things was slipping away.

I knew I had to make her stop, to make her talk to me before the night was over. Even if she was just playing the game, even if she genuinely wanted nothing to do with me, I had to try. I owed it to myself- to my heart- to see if there was any hope of a happy ending.

I had to know.

Charlotte's parents asked a few of us to stay behind after dinner to help set a few things up in the reception hall for the big day. Tessa and I were each part of that group.

At one point, I noticed Tessa was missing. She'd gone to one of the storage rooms to look for some decoration for Charlotte's mom. I knew that was my chance.

Once I reached the storage room, I found Tessa rummaging through one of the shelves, looking for something. No one else was around. It was just the two of us, and it was now or never.

"Tessa."

She startled at the sound of my voice, whipping around to face me with her hand over her heart. "Jesus, Levi! You scared the crap out of me!"

I took a step toward her. "Sorry, Tess. I just need to talk to you."

Tessa rolled her eyes, turning away from me again. "We have nothing to talk about, Levi. You won your stupid game. Happy?"

"This isn't about some dumb game, Tessa. Screw the game! This is about us." I couldn't help myself from moving closer.

I watched as she slowly turned to face me. Her eyes were studying me warily, and a frown marred her beautiful face.

"What are you talking about?" she asked.

Thoughts swirled in my head. Everything I wanted to ask her came rushing to the surface. I chose to ask the one that haunted me last night.

"Everything that happened last night- was it just part of the game for you? Flirting with Sid, holding my hand, the kiss? Was it just a game, Tessa, or did it mean something to you?" The words came spilling out as my heart raced.

The anticipation was killing me. I knew what I felt but what if she really was just playing the game? How hard would that hit me? How deep would that cut?

I waited with bated breath as she stared at me with furrowed brows.

After what seemed like a lifetime, she finally answered. "Why?"

Her voice was so quiet I almost missed her reply.

"I need to know, Tessa. I need to know if it meant something to you..." I swallowed, begging for the courage to say what I knew I needed to.

"Because it meant something to me."

Tessa stood there, saying nothing for a long minute, eyeing me curiously. "Is this still part of your game, Levi? Because if it is, it's really fucked up!"

For fuck's sake.

I moved closer, pinning her back against the shelves. With my arms on either side of her, she couldn't run. She'd have to listen to what I had to say.

"This isn't a game to me, Tess. I'm telling you I still feel something for you. And I need to know if you feel the same."

She stared up at me with wide eyes, her mouth gaping. "Was it part of the game, Tessa? Or do you feel something-"

Before I could finish my sentence, Tessa's lips were on mine, dancing feverishly like they had so many times in my dreams. My arms circled around her, pulling her close, cradling her in my arms where she belonged.

In that moment, everything that happened last summer, everything that had gone on recently- none of it mattered. The only thing that I cared about was having Tessa in my arms again. Everything in the world felt right as I kissed her.

With that kiss, I felt it- she was mine, and I was hers.  

A/N: 

FINALLY! 

Need I say more? Lol. Let me know if you enjoyed this chapter as much as I did. Slam that vote button for a hell yes! Let's get this story pumping in the algorithm. 

So much more to come in the next several chapters, including the question that's been on everyone's mind. See how that unfolds soon! 

See you all again Friday! Have a wonderful day!   

:)