Chapter Twenty-Seven

Levi

I came downstairs to find Leah, Charlotte, and Colin sipping mimosas at the breakfast bar. I couldn't help but notice that Tessa was missing. No matter how big or small the crowd, I always notice her presence or absence. That ability has only grown stronger over the years, and after last night, I'm sure it will only get more obvious from here.

Tessa has always been a part of my life, and now it feels like she's become a part of me- engrained into my very being. She already has a special place in my heart, but this feels different. This feels deeper somehow. After tasting her on my lips, I think she's become my body's new addiction. Now other parts of me crave her, not just my beating heart.

As I make my way to the fridge, I mutter a quick good morning to everyone, noticing Colin sending me a strange look. Before I have time to unpack what that's about, someone else enters the kitchen, not just any someone- her.

Tessa breezes by, claiming the open seat by Colin, not even noticing me until she's sipping her freshly poured mimosa. It takes a tremendous amount of self-restraint, but I manage not to turn my entire body her way, pretending to concentrate on by breakfast options in the fridge.

Out of the corner of my eye, I still manage to see Colin lean in and whisper something to Tessa, making her blush and elbow him in the ribs. Immediately after, she glances my way nervously.

I wonder what that's all about.

Not wanting to take too long in front of the open fridge, I grab a plate of leftovers from yesterday and warm up my meal. Two minutes later, I see Colin and Tessa whispering furiously as I approach the table.

I start to set my plate at one of the open seats, but Colin stops me. "Here, Levi. Take my seat. I need to freshen up our drinks anyway."

He sends a subtle smile to Tessa before pulling his chair back for me. "Uh, thanks, man." I try not to sound too suspicious as he coaxes Charlotte and Leah to help him in the kitchen.

Tessa is glaring at her friends when I settle beside her. They're definitely up to something. After everything last night and everyone's strange behavior this morning, the tension in the house is starting to rise.

Hoping to alleviate some of it, I lean toward Tessa. "You ever get the feeling they're trying to get us alone around here? I feel like we're on some weird reality dating show."

A stifled giggle escapes Tessa's mouth before she starts shaking with laughter. Mission accomplished.

"I know the feeling," she tells me. "It's like they're trying to play matchmaker. Which is totally unnecessary."

"Yeah, I think we've finally figured out that we're meant to be." I smile when Tessa snaps her head my way, her eyes wide with surprise.

"Don't you agree?"

My cheeks widen as I watch her reaction to my words. She looks like a deer in the headlights, trying to decipher if I'm messing with her or not.

When she sees the sincerity written on my face, Tessa starts to relax, letting a small grin grace her lips. She nods slowly, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "Yeah, I think you're right, Levi. You've hit the bullseye there."

Our breakfast is long forgotten as we stare at one another, uncaring that we have an audience hanging on our every word. The pull to kiss her, hold her close, and never let go is as strong as ever as I lean forward. Tessa's eyes flutter as she waits for our lips to meet.