29

"You're awfully smiley..."

Seungmin looked up from his plate at the voice to see his mother and father both staring at him, curious expressions on their faces. He glanced back down at the old, scratched up dining room table and shrugged, trying to get the smile on his face to disappear.

A soft laugh came from Mrs Kim at the action before she muttered, "something's got you excited...but I won't make you tell us. It's just nice to see you happy about something."

The boy hummed. He took a few more bites of his dinner before quietly asking, "can me and Hyunjin...go to a pottery class Saturday?"

"By yourself?"

"Honey," Mrs Kim started softly as she placed a hand on her husband's arm, "he's not a little kid—it wouldn't be the end of the world if he went somewhere without one of us." She turned back to Seungmin and sent him a warm smile, "Send me the address so I can look at the place before you go, okay?"

"Is it just you and Hyunjin going?" His father asked. When he saw his son nod, he continued, "it's like you two are going on a date or something...me and my friends never did anything like that."

When his mother saw him nod once again, she nearly choked on the food in her mouth. After taking a few sips of water and clearing her throat, she croaked, "it's a date?"

A hushed, "yes," slipped past the boy's lips at the question, thinking the two would never get the hint if he didn't give them a verbal response.

"Oh..." she whispered. A couple seconds of silence ensued, the family becoming lost in their own thoughts. That was until Mrs Kim muttered, "I'm not surprised—I don't know why I'm acting surprised."

Laughing at her words, Mr Kim nodded in agreement, adding, "I'm just a little shocked...I didn't think you would be going on dates so soon."

Seungmin flashed another smile before grabbing his empty plate and slipping out of his chair. He wasn't sure why it felt so awkward talking to his parents about anything remotely related to his love life. Never in his life had he ever had to tell them anything like that.

He hurried into his room and pushed the door shut behind him, thankful to just have a few moments of quiet. The quiet, however, didn't last long as Seungmin's phone began buzzing from where it sat on the desk next to him. 

Picking up the device, Seungmin scoffed when he saw over twenty missed messages from Felix and Jisung in their group chat. That group chat that now included Jeongin.

Felix renamed the group Hyunjin and Seungmin 4eva

Jeongin
What?

Jisung
What do you not understand about Hyunjin and Seungmin 4eva?

Felix
Yeah...it's pretty self explanatory.

Hyunjin
Oh my god I'm never telling either of you anything ever again.

Jisung
I still can't believe that you told Felix before you told me

Felix
Because I'm better at keeping secrets

Jisung
Obviously not

Jeongin
Are you guys dating?

Hyunjin
Oh my god
I'm sorry Seungmin
I didn't think this would get to everybody in a ten mile radius

Seungmin
It's okay
It's just them.

Felix
Yeah, it's just us.

Jeongin
Can somebody please explain please

Seungmin
Me and Hyunjin are going on a date this Saturday

Hyunjin
And I told Felix because I was excited and thought i could trust him.

Felix
You're so dramatic

Jisung
Yeah we don't talk to anybody else so your secrets safe with us.

Hyunjin
I'm blocking both of you

✨✨✨

Seungmin sat at the desk in his room, working towards finishing his homework for the night when he heard a soft knock on his door. Not expecting any response from the boy, Seungmin's mother let herself into the room, sending her son a small smile.

She walked over to sit on his bed and asked, "can we talk or are you too busy with homework?"

Spinning around in his chair so he could see her, Seungmin nodded, looking up at her expectantly.

"I want you to understand that I'll always be happy for you—I'll support every decision you make. But I also need to make sure you understand that things are going to be harder for you," she paused for a moment, blinking away the tears that had welled in her eyes, "I try so hard not to worry about you Seungmin, I keep telling myself that you're grown up and I can't keep treating you like a kid—but I can't help but overthink everything."

A quiet hum came from Seungmin. He took a few seconds to think about her words before pondering, "you're worried about...me and Hyunjin?"

Mrs Kim shrugged and continued, "yes but also no. I think Hyunjin is great for you—you've been doing so good ever since you met him and all your other friends. I'm not worried about him. I think I'm scared that a relationship—is going to be a lot for you. Does Hyunjin...does he know what happened?"

Seungmin looked up at his mother and shook his head.

"Has he asked about anything?"

He shook his head again.

"I'm not saying you have to tell him anything...but just remember that it's okay to set boundaries. You're a little different than most people when it comes to touching—and in relationships people hold hands and hug and kiss—you don't have to do any of that."

A soft smile flickered across Seungmin's face as he listened to his mother's rambling. She was more nervous about his first date than he was.

She returned the smile, finding a bit of comfort in her son's calmness. "It's also important that you have fun with Hyunjin."

Seungmin nodded at her words. He was beyond excited to spend the day with Hyunjin outside of school. But then again he was always excited to see Hyunjin no matter what they did. If they were together, it made him happy.

———
I did not proof read this sorry

Thanks for reading