39

"So basically...you got dumped?"

An exasperate sigh fell from Felix's lips before he hissed, "Changbin, if you're not going to try to make Hyunjin feel better then you can leave."

"Ok I'll stop," Changbin muttered.

"But did you get dumped?" Minho interjected, still trying to piece the situation together.

Letting himself fall backwards on to the couch, Hyunjin landed in Jisung's lap. The younger quickly brought a hand up to stroke Hyunjin's hair, "it's okay, Hyunnie, you don't have to talk about it if you don't want to."

"I didn't get dumped," Hyunjin answered at last, "we just haven't talked in two weeks."

"Two weeks is a really long time...maybe it's a silent breakup."

"Changbin—out!" Felix yelled as he pointed towards the kitchen. The elder dejectedly climbed out of the chair and plodded towards the prison of a kitchen. "Hyunjin, I think it's just important to try to talk to him. I get that it's frustrating he won't say anything first but let's be honest...he's not the bold type."

A hum came out of Jisung while he continued to comfort his friend to the best of his ability. "I agree with Felix. I think you're going to have to be the one to make the first move."

"I don't want to."

"Why not?"

Hyunjin flipped himself around and latched onto Jisung when he felt his eyes well with tears. "I'm scared," he mumbled into Jisung's shirt.

Sitting next to the two on the couch, Jeongin placed a hand on Hyunjin's back. "I personally don't think Seungmin is that scary," voiced the youngest.

A quiet laugh slipped out of Hyunjin before he finally lifted his head. He took a few moments to wipe at his eyes before finally admitting, "I'm scared that he does want to break up with me. If we don't talk to each other then we technically can't break up."

"You have no idea what he's thinking, Hyunjin, and you're not going to find out unless you go talk to him."

"What if he believes what his brother said? I don't want him to think he can't date me just because his brother doesn't like me—but I also don't want to come between his family."

"His parents really like you," Felix pointed out, "you even said his mom tried to get you to stay even after you and...I forgot his name...Seungmin's brother got in an argument. I think that means his parents were on your side."

Although Minho had never met Seungmin, after listening to the whole conversation, he could tell it was somebody really special to Hyunjin. "I think you're never going to forgive yourself if you let things end like this," the eldest stated.

Hyunjin looked over at Minho and nodded, "I think you're right."

"So are you finally going to go talk to him?" Jisung asked, a small smile rising to his lips.

There was a stretch of silence before Hyunjin finally hummed, "I'll talk to him even though I'm scared as hell."

"It'll be okay, Hyunnie," Jeongin reassured, "and you better make sure it's okay because I really like having Seungmin as a friend."

✨✨✨

The drive over to Seungmin's house felt like an eternity, but when he finally pulled into the driveway, he wondered how he managed to get there so fast. After putting his car in park, Hyunjin laid his head on the steering wheel and forced himself to breathe.

Talking to his boyfriend for the first time in weeks should've been something he was excited for...but he wasn't. There was an endless list of outcomes circling through Hyunjin's head and he feared coming to a conclusion.

As much as everybody around him made him feel as if he was doing Seungmin a favor, truthfully, it was the other way around. Hyunjin needed Seungmin in his life. It felt as if he had been searching for something his whole life and Seungmin made that feeling go away. He was unsure of whether he could  say he loved Seungmin so soon, but deep down he knew the truth.

None of the hardships that came with dating Seungmin effected the way he felt about the boy. It seemed as if nothing could change the way he loved Kim Seungmin.

After what felt like hours of stalling in his car, Hyunjin finally shut off the engine and reached out for the door handle. He counted his steps as he walked towards the front door. As he stepped onto the front porch, he felt his stomach churn.

Taking a moment to breathe, Hyunjin counted up to ten in his head before raising a fist and knocking on the door.

It only took a few seconds before Mrs Kim opened the door, a smile quickly rising to her lips when she saw Hyunjin standing in front of her. Without warning, she reached out and pulled Hyunjin into her arms. "I am so happy to see you, Hyunjin," she whispered.

When the two parted, Hyunjin stepped inside of the house and explained, "Seungmin didn't invite me over—I hope that's okay. I just really want to talk to him...and he won't seem to listen to me at school."

"Seungmin told me what his brother said to you...he was very upset with everything that happened. I'm sure you were upset too...I'm really sorry Wonpil talked to you like that."

"It's okay," the boy spoke, "I'm hoping I can fix things. That's why I came over."

Mrs Kim reached out to grab one of Hyunjin's hands and held it in her own for a moment. "Seungmin can be stubborn," started the woman, "but I know he really cares about you. We all care about you. He's just in his room whenever you're ready to talk."

Hyunjin nodded as the woman let go of his hand and headed towards the dining room. He stood there for some time completely frozen.

When he finally worked up the courage, Hyunjin set off down the familiar hallway and stopped in front of Seungmin's bedroom door. He knocked on the door softly and waited for the boy to answer.

The door opened and he was face to face with Seungmin.

"Hyunjin..." Seungmin spoke. His voice was hoarse and almost inaudible as if he hadn't said a word for the two weeks they'd been apart. "I...I—" he wasn't able to get out the words he was searching for and settled on letting himself fall into Hyunjin's arms as the tears streamed down his cheeks.

———
Thanks for reading