28

Hyunjin walked into his home room hesitantly, his hands grasping at the straps of his backpack. After giving Seungmin a letter containing all of his feelings, he never got a response. Although the younger lived most of his life in silence, Hyunjin interpreted the lack of words as a quiet rejection.

Glancing over at Seungmin as he walked to his seat, Hyunjin saw the boy busy scribbling something down in his notebook. He held back his normal greeting and slid into his chair next to the boy, pulling his backpack onto his lap so he could pretend to be busy looking for a folder.

Seungmin didn't seem to notice anybody next to him for some time, eyes still focused even as the classroom filled up. He stayed that way until Shuhua sat down next to him, placing a gently hand on his arm. A smile quickly spread across his lips when he saw his friend in front of him.

"Hi," she beamed, "Soojin asked me to sit with her at lunch today—so I can't sit with you. But you have Hyunjin and his friends so it shouldn't matter, right?"

Quickly nodding, Seungmin turned to greet his other friend, only to see Hyunjin staring down at his lap. His eyebrows furrowed together, wondering if Hyunjin was tired or not feeling well.

In an attempt to see his face, Seungmin leaned down and stuck his head underneath Hyunjin's.

"Hi..." the elder whispered awkwardly as they both sat up. There was a tense silence between the two, Hyunjin refusing to make eye contact with the younger. But instead of saying anything, Seungmin only turned away.

A quiet sigh fell from Hyunjin's lips. He wasn't sure what he expected or wanted to happen but he really didn't like such an awkwardness between them.

"Here," Seungmin whispered suddenly as he handed Hyunjin his own folded up piece of paper, "you can read it whenever you want."

Taking the paper, Hyunjin ran his thumb over the letters spelling his name. "Okay—but I'm just going to read it now," he responded quickly, too impatient to wait for a proper time to read what the boy said.

Seungmin let out a soft hum before focusing his attention on their teacher in the center of the room.

Hyunjin, I think it's only fair for me to respond the same way you brought this up. Plus I think we both know it would take me a really long time to say all of this out loud. I read every word that you wrote probably one hundred times so I could figure everything out.

I've always had a hard time understanding my emotions in general and I've never really had a crush before. Until I met you. I didn't notice at first, but one day when my dad saw us holding hands he asked if we were together. I told him no, but then I found myself asking my therapist was it was like to have an actual crush. I still don't know if there's a real way to know if you have a crush on somebody—but I think I know I like you, Hyunjin.

You make me feel safe and not a lot of people make me feel safe. You also make me really happy. Actually, you've brought out so many emotions that I hadn't felt in so long. Things are easy with you and even then I don't think I could ever get bored of you.

I have my fair share of issues...I think that's obvious to anybody. I'm really ignorant when it comes to romance and being in a relationship but I'm not unwilling to learn. And I don't think a relationship with me would be easy or rewarding so I don't blame you if you just want to let things die down. But at the end of the day, I'll always be grateful for our friendship. Never in my life have I felt I'd ever be able to say I have a best friend...but now I have you.

Seungmin

A harsh breath fell from Hyunjin's lips as he finished reading Seungmin's words, his eyes swelling with an over abundance emotions. He found himself starting from the beginning once again, just making sure he hadn't imagined the whole thing.

Safe. He made Seungmin feel safe. There was nothing else in the world that somebody could say to make him feel more special than he did in that moment.

He smiled to himself as he folded the letter back up, letting his fingers trace over his name once again. After sticking the letter securely in one of his folders, Hyunjin glanced over at Seungmin, just looking at the boy for a few moments. He thought it was funny how he so nonchalantly handed off a letter containing all of his feelings but could still pay full attention to the lecture.

"Seungmin," he whispered, trying to get the boy's attention without disrupting the class. Turning to look back at Hyunjin, he sent him a small smile and hummed.

There was a stretch of silence between the two before Hyunjin carefully reached out towards Seungmin, taking one of the boy's hands in his own. Just holding his hand for a moment, Hyunjin looked up at smiled.

"Let's go on a date," the elder continued in the same hushed tone, not wanting the class to overhear the proposal.

"You want to?"

"Of course I want to," he responded, not a trace of hesitation in his words, "I want to take you on a date."

A warm smile spread across Seungmin's face, his cheeks heating up. "Okay," he whispered finally, eyes fixed on his lap.

Hyunjin beamed at the response, his hand still interlocked with Seungmin's underneath the table. He couldn't believe it. He, Hwang Hyunjin, was going on a date with Kim Seungmin.

"I'm so excited," he mumbled, not quite sure if he was still talking to Seungmin or just too exhilarated to hold the words in.

———
Thanks for reading