Chapter Twenty-nine: Surprise

I got out of the passengers seat of the Impala and the two of us walked over to meet up with Jack and Sam.

   Jack met me halfway and hugged me, breathing out a sigh of relief. "I'm so glad you're safe."

    I nodded and looked at him and Sam. "I'm glad you're both safe."

    "Everyone's gone. Did you two see anyone on the way here?" Sam asked.

    "No." Dean shook his head.

    "I couldn't save anybody. Billie—" Sam said.

    "It wasn't her. It was Chuck." Dean said.

    "Where's Cass?" Jack asked as he glanced around.

    "Dean? Anna?" Sam asked as he glanced at us.

    "He saved us. Billie was coming after us and Cass summoned the Empty. It took her, and it took him. Cass is gone." Dean said.

    "This can't be happening." Sam shook his head.

    "It is, Sam. I think everyone's gone." Dean said.

    Sam took out his phone and walked away, trying to find anyone that was still here.

    "Cass is really gone?" Jack asked me.

    I looked at him and nodded sadly. "Yeah..."

    Dean started walking up the street and the three of us followed him into a diner, where uneaten food sat on the table.

    "Now's not the time to be eating for free." I said as we walked further into the empty diner.

    "I'm not. Look at this." Dean pointed to the screen where an empty football field was on the screen.

    "That brings a whole new meaning to the term "sudden death." Dean, so you think we're it? We're all that's left?" Sam asked his brother.

    "Yeah. You, me, Jack, Anna. That's it." Dean said as he looked at his brother.

    "So, what now?" Jack asked.

    "I did this. I could have just given Chuck what he wanted, you know, his grand finale. But I resisted. I pulled the thread. I thought we could beat this game, do it better. We tried to rewrite him, and the whole world paid the price." Sam said.

    "Sam, we can—" Dean started.

    "We can what? There's nothing left, Dean. There's no one left to save. Everybody's gone!" Sam interrupted.

    "You can't just give up." I said.

    "What other choice do we have, Anna?" Sam asked.

    "Well, I don't know about you, but my fist has another overdue appointment with his face." I said.

    "You can't just go around punching Chuck, Anna. He's God."

    "No, no. What he is is an annoying bitch." I corrected.

💠💠💠

"Jack? You okay?" I asked when I came back I to the room and found him laying on his bed staring at the ceiling.

    "I'm fine. Just thinking." he answered.

    "About what?" I asked, coming over and sitting on the bed, setting my laptop on the nightstand.

    "It's just us in the entire world now against Chuck. Do you think we would really win against him?" he asked.

    "Two brothers who hunt demons, a nephilim, and a bad-mouthed girl? I wouldn't bet on it, if I'm being honest." I shook my head.