Part 4: Unexpected Ally

"I'm sorry to bother you, Miss, but my employer desperately needs someone to feel a certain position." The young woman stuttered. I looked at her inquiringly, searching her eyes for any secret meaning behind her words. I wondered who her employer could be, and what business they had to need a new employee so quickly.

"Can you give me more information?" I asked her. She nodded, and I gave her a suspicious glance. She smiled.

"Might we go outside?"

"So you're telling me that there is a castle position, just up for grabs for any unqualified ruffian?" I blurted, staring at her in shock. Winifreda, or Winnie for short, chuckled lightly.

"You don't believe me? Come, you must come to the palace - you will love it, I promise you. All luxury and pomp, it's a world away from life here!"

I laughed and followed Winnie, making my way to the Royal Palace of Trona.

Three days later

I ran the cloth over the mantel piece of the fireplace. I had already been assigned as the cleaner for the chambers of Lady Colette, Lady Visha and Lady Sarnai Mayberry. I had yet to catch a glimpse of either of them. I drifted off into my thoughts, considering the last few days. Being kicked out of Invidia Hall still hurt, but as the hours went by and I talked with Winnie, the ache in my chest hurt a little bit less. We had talked all through the night for the last few days about everything. I confessed my past to her, and in turn she confessed hers. When I told her about Invidia Hall, she nodded in understanding and comforted me. When she told me about her life as a girl who grew up in Filth, I consoled her and reminded her that one's upbringing is not reflective of who they are.

"Hey, are you the new maid?" Giggled a refined voice from behind me. I stood up and turned, dropping into a curtsey as I saw who was standing in front of me. A noblewoman. She was painfully beautiful, as most nobles were. She wore a shoulder less crimson gown embroidered with gold, her sun kissed hair arranged into a braided halo on her head. I identified her as one of the Mayberry ladies, although I couldn't tell which one. She giggled again and called to someone standing in the doorway.

"Come on Lettie, I thought you were meant to be the nice sister!" Another lady stepped into the room. She wore a dark green dress and her hair was left out, unadorned. She must be Lady Colette, I thought. Meaning that the lady in the crimson dress was either Lady Visha or Lady Sarnai.

"Sarnai is the nice sister, not me!" Lady Colette scolded. I realised that the lady in the crimson dress was likely Lady Visha, if Lady Colette was talking about Lady Sarnai as if she was not here. I had not heard anything about the ladies before, despite being here for three days. All Winnie said was that I should treat them as I would treat any other noble - with dignity, respect and submission. I turned away and returned to cleaning, not wanting to attract any more attention than I had already45t gained. That was not the result.

"Look at this servant, thinking she can turn her back on us!" Lady Visha cackled. Two more noblewomen filed in, intrigued. One was painstakingly beautiful. Her hair was long and blond, braided and tossed up elegantly. Her dress was lavender with red roses embroidered across the bodice, cut to accent her features. The other was less beautiful, but still very pretty she had dark skin and black hair pulled back into a casual ponytail. Her dress was a rich wine red, and she carried herself with a certain type of imperial elegance none of the ladies in this room could achieve. She was also the first one to speak.

"I thought you were over humiliating the servants, Visha." Visha frowned and glared at her. I noted how Lady Colette went to stand with the lady in wine red, leaning down to whisper something in her ear.

"Go away, Yvaine." Visha frowned, her glare sharpening to something so terrifying I had to work hard not to run away. The other lady, the one in lavender, went to Visha. She giggled something I strained to hear, my heart falling at the words she uttered.