𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 18

(This has yet to be rewritten.)

"So, how was work today?" Chrollo had placed his fork down and was now looking at me through his lashes. He had taken me out to eat all of a sudden, seemingly in a good mood.

"It was okay" I shrugged, reaching for my water so that I could wash down the food that was, unfortunately, painfully dry. "Turns out, Illumi Zoldyck is my new coworker.."

Chrollo furrowed his brow and mouthed the familiar sounding name. Turning to me once he remembered who it belonged to, his eyes lighting up with pride. "Oh! Isn't he an old friend of yours from our school days?"

"Yes.. He is."

"You don't seem too happy though."

Placing down my glass, I wiped away the droplets that had collected themselves in the corners of my lips with my napkin. 
"Well.." I paused for a moment, thinking of what I could say...
"He is a massive dick." 

Looking up after hearing what sounded like a strained cough, I was met with the sight of Chrollo forcefully swallowing what he had in his mouth, followed by the sound of his somewhat rich laughter.  
He smiled at me, amused. "Why's that?" 

"He just gives off this annoying vibe, first of all. Second of all, can you believe that he just arrived and is already ordering me around like some dog he's trying to teach a new trick!? It's so belittling. That's not even including the fact that he practically attacked me today as well." the more I spoke, the more my annoyance was revealed. I decided to leave out the fact that Illumi had forgotten who I was, didn't seem like something Chrollo would really care about anyways. 

"Attacked you?"

"Yeah! Crazy right? Psycho!"

"Well, I suppose people do change over time.. However, why would he attack you?" By now, Chrollo had been leaning closer towards me. His arms resting on the table. 

"How should I know? I was packing up to leave and heard a really loud sound coming from the training center so I went to check out what caused it. Only to see some mannequin ripped to shreds and no one in sight.." I sunk into the plush back-rest of my chair, the tips of my fingers cold. 
"I tried to see if anyone was in the control room when, all of a sudden, this creep appears behind me and nearly slices my neck. I don't know... Maybe I startled him.." Fidgeting, I looked back up after my eyes had begun trailing down to my lap, only to see Chrollo's eyes fixed on me. Invested in what I had to say. 
"He did say he wasn't expecting anyone to still be there." I mumbled and looked back down. 

The silence had drawn out and I felt myself growing embarrassed, heat slowly climbing up my  neck and gathering itself into my cheeks.  The sudden rustle of Chrollo's clothes had me sneak a quick glance back up to him; 
He was now leaning back again, his arms crossed over his chest. He seemed to be deep in his own thoughts, eyes unfocused, staring far. Clenching my jaw, I exhaled loudly through my nose and fiddled with the silk table cloth that had kind of pooled into my lap, slightly too big for the small table. "What were you up to today?" 

"I had something urgent that I needed to attend." 

"What was it?" 

Making eye contact with Chrollo again after my question, I nearly jumped in my seat. His eyes had gone cold now, like stone, and his face... blank. Though, only for a second, I had felt so small underneath his heavy gaze, so suffocated. 

"You usually never ask me about my meetings.." Then he was back to his normal carefree attitude, running a hand through his hair and adjusting himself in his seat. Had me question if I had gone crazy, or if my eyes were just tired because of work. 
Thrown off, I had developed a hunch that maybe I shouldn't press further on the subject but, the pinching sensation that had formed itself at the back of my head failed to leave.