𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 5

We each went our separate ways: Illumi heading east, Hisoka west, and myself southward. I wasn't certain if my target would be in that direction, but intuition told me he wouldn't stray too far from the entrance. He seemed like someone who preferred to stick close to his group. Yet, if his teammates decided to gather badges collectively, I'd find myself outnumbered and at a disadvantage.

I was fortunate that my intuition proved correct, and my target was indeed close to the entrance. However, I observed that he wasn't actively searching for his assigned target. Instead, he appeared relaxed, casually leaning against a nearby tree. It seemed like he wasn't particularly invested in this activity.
Taking advantage of the situation, I sprinted towards the trees behind him and swiftly climbed into one, concealing myself among the leaves as I peered down at him from my hidden vantage point.

I carefully balanced myself as I crouched on the branch, preparing to pounce on my target below.
However, my focus was abruptly shattered when I sensed someone landing behind me. Startled, I instinctively twisted around, but in my haste, I lost my footing. Panic surged through me as I felt the solid support beneath me vanish, my hand grasping at empty air when I reached out for the branch.

As I braced for the fall, my heart pounding in my chest, I suddenly felt a firm grip on my wrist. With a swift yet gentle pull, I was hoisted back up over the branch.
Opening my eyes in disbelief, I found myself staring into Chrollo's calm and composed face, his smile warm and reassuring amidst the chaos which just transpired in the moment. His dark eyes holding a hint of amusement like they had back in class.

I hastily pulled my arm back and flattened out the wrinkles in my shirt, trying to regain some composure. "What do you want?" I asked, brushing and picking leaves out of my hair.

Chrollo chuckled, relaxing back onto the branch. "Is that how you thank someone who just saved you from falling out of a tree?" he teased.
"Oh, right. Thanks," I muttered, feeling a bit embarrassed by my initial reaction.

I glanced down at the spot where my target was supposed to be, unsurprised to find him missing. He likely fled after witnessing my near tumble from the tree. Irritated, I began descending the tree, only to have Chrollo nonchalantly jump down behind me.
"Where's your team?" he inquired, his gaze curious as he observed me.

"They're off getting their own badges," I replied, a touch defensive.

"Mhm. That makes sense," he remarked casually.

Suddenly, a realization struck, and I instinctively raised my arms defensively. Chrollo must have followed me to steal my badge.
"What?" Chrollo's expression turned puzzled as he observed my defensive stance.

"You're here to steal my badge, right?" I hissed, suspicion coloring my tone.

His initial confusion gave way to amusement as a smile crept across his features. His chuckle was unsettling, leaving me wondering if I should bolt while he was distracted.

"No," he reassured, still smiling. "You're not my target, I promise."
His words did little to ease my skepticism. "How do I know you're not lying?" I challenged, keeping my guard up.

After my question, Chrollo deftly rummaged through his pocket and retrieved what appeared to be another badge. Displaying the number 29, he smiled and then stowed it away.
"I've already secured the badge I needed," he affirmed, returning it to his pocket with a grin.

Exhaling a sigh, I reclined onto the ground. "And your teammates?" I drawled.
"We went our separate ways," Chrollo explained, mirroring our team's strategy.

I quickly sat up, rubbing the back of my head in contemplation. My target had moved, leaving me uncertain about where to search next. However, I reasoned that he couldn't have strayed too far; running wasn't exactly his forte.

Turning sharply on my heel, I retraced my steps, scanning the area in hopes of spotting Number 406 along the way. Chrollo, not far behind, piqued my curiosity with his continued presence.
"So, why the company?" I inquired, glancing back at him. "You've got your badge, so why not report back to the teacher?"

He hummed thoughtfully, taking a moment to formulate a response, though something about his demeanor left me feeling uneasy.
"Well, I noticed you in that tree, about to jump on that poor sap," he started, "So, naturally, because I recognized you as the girl from one of the classes I helped today, I thought I'd come over and say 'Hi'."

"Is that so?" I retorted, feeling my irritation rise at his casual explanation. It irked me that his impromptu 'Hi' had disrupted my badge retrieval with Number 406. "Well, thanks to you, I need to track down that 'poor sap' again," I muttered under my breath.
His chuckle only fueled my annoyance as he quickened his pace, now walking beside me instead of trailing behind.

As we walked, my irritation gradually dissipated, and I couldn't help but steal glances at the bandages wrapped around his head. I had noticed them before but now, curiosity was getting the better of me, and I found myself wanting to inquire about it.
"How did you get injured?" I finally asked, nodding towards his forehead. He shot me a quizzical look before a smile crept onto his lips. "I'm not injured," he replied with a grin.

I almost questioned further about why he wore them if he wasn't hurt, but a sense told me he might deflect or fabricate an answer. So, I kept my lips pressed together, opting for a different question. "Do you wear them in the summer?" I raised an eyebrow, noticing his amused expression persisting.
"Sometimes," he responded cryptically.

So he wore it even in the heat, albeit less frequently? Was he concealing a peculiar birthmark? Perhaps.

"Now that I think about it, I never did get your name," he chuckled. I paused, realizing that I hadn't shared my name with him.
"It's (Y/n)," I said, smiling. He repeated my name softly to himself, elongating some syllables in a playful manner.

When Chrollo and I finally arrived at the spot where Illumi and Hisoka parted ways, it was no surprise to see the clown sitting on a rock, casually tossing the badge he had successfully stolen.