𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 21

(This has yet to be rewritten.)

The majority of the ride to the café with Hisoka had been painfully silent. Of course, he would do the honors of interrupting the quiet every now and again, though it never lasted long; I felt too tired to really maintain any form of conversation. 

Upon arriving, we both stepped out of the car and I looked back to examine the exterior of the building. It was fairly quaint; a small cottage turned coffee shop, seemed so out of place in such an urban area. Painted yellow with a wooden porch, the door had a sign that hung in front of the window which read: "Caroline's Simple Coffee". Straight to the point. 

Hisoka, who now had walked around the car to stand beside me, took out a silver lighter and flicked the cap off to the side. Bringing it up to his face, I noticed a cigarette between his pale lips.
"You smoke now?" my voice came out with a rough edge, the probable cause being my lack of speaking up until that point.
Putting the lighter back into a pocket within his coat, Hisoka drew in a long breath before bringing the tube down between his fingers and letting out a thin stream of smoke. "Yes, seems stress has caused me to fall into the habit~" he mused, a smirk pulling at the corner of his mouth.
Grabbing my wrist, he gently pulled me towards the front door and opened it for me. 

Walking inside, a comforting warmth enveloped my body as well as introduced the smell of ground up coffee beans and sweet pastries, which was an extreme contrast the smell of cigarette that Hisoka now carried. The oak tables were placed in a loose manner, able to be pushed around as pleased by customers, seats varying in size and texture were put around those tables; furry couches, leather stools, wooden chairs, etc. The menu was a black board, consisting of various options written in colorful chalk with hand-drawn pictures used as visual representation. Along a waxed marbled counter at the front was displayed cookies, cake, savory sandwiches, bags of coffee grains and tea, and stacks of takeout cups. Below was a cooled glass case which encompassed all kinds of different flavors of ice cream. 
My ears were filled with the sounds of drinks being brewed and light-hearted chatter, the environment being lit up by an orange light. 

"This doesn't seem simple at all.." I muttered to myself as I looked around, my eyes wide as I thought back to the sign which hung at the front door. 
I felt an arm wrap around my shoulders "The sign is quite the understatement, isn't it?" Hisoka chuckled, seemingly hearing my comment. "Oh! And there's our friend~". Following his line of sight as I walked with him towards our table, my face fell into that of exhaustion. 

Illumi sat in front of us, one of his legs crossed over the other, his phone in his hand resting on his calf. He wore a purple turtleneck which hugged his body in a way that accentuated the toned muscles in his arms and the angle of his waist. His long hair was left splayed around his shoulders, half of it pooling down beside his face as he looked forward at his screen. I sat in the seat across from him rather than that in front of him and Hisoka sat beside him, facing me. 

"You're late," Illumi sighed "As usual."
Hisoka pouted and bent his head to the side, "But I'm here now, aren't I?~ I also brought an old friend~" he flashed me a cheery look, prompting me to roll my eyes. 
Looking up at me with a blank stare, Illumi turned to Hisoka "Old friend? Y/n and I have only just met." 
I felt a pang at my heart and leaned back into the support of my chair, subtly bringing my arms up to hug myself. Fighting back against the smile that threatened to creep up onto my lips once I took in Hisoka's look of disbelief. 

"Y/n? Your best friend in high school? I never took you to be the type to make such a cruel joke, Illu~" Hisoka laughed but Illumi's expression remained unchanging, causing Hisoka's amusement to die down. 
"I don't recall making any joke, I'm being quite serious. Y/n and I were recently introduced to each other at our workplace. I don't have any memory of ever being close in the past." Illumi shrugged and reached for his tea which I only now realized had been on the table this entire time.
Hisoka, now with his arms crossed, turned to face me and asked "I'm going to be getting myself an espresso, would you like anything Y/n?"
"No no, I'm alright. Thank you." I waved my hands in front of me as a gesture of decline and he nodded before getting up and walking to the counter to wait in line to place his order. 

Now being alone with Illumi, I attempted to cover up the awkward interaction that had just finished taking place. "Mr. Zoldyck, I received a document today which requires your signature." I started "I had gone searching for you but was then later informed that you had left the building early, when do you believe you'll be capable of sparing me the time to-" 
"Tomorrow. I will come by your quarters." he looked back down at his phone and I huffed, quiet enough not to grab his attention. 
"Perfect." I forced a smile.

_

The rest of the evening went as smoothly as possible; Hisoka would bring up random, somewhat entertaining, topics up to either me or Illumi and just continue talking mostly to himself. My phone had buzzed in my pocket during one of Hisoka's rants about his engagement to his fiancée who I was in disbelief he even had. 

My heart swelled in my chest when I checked my messages.

Chrollo

• How are you feeling? (7:43 PM)
• I thought about how rude I was, I'm so sorry. 

(7:45 PM) It's okay, I should be the one to apologize.✿
Hitting you was wrong, is your cheek okay?✿

• My cheek is okay. I appreciate your concern :) (7:52 PM) 
• I understand it's rather late, but would I be able to spend the night over?

(7:53 PM) Sure, is there something you want to talk about?✿

•Everything is fine, I just feel rather lonely. 
•I will be at your front door at around 8:30 <3

Okay ✿

_

I got up and pushed my chair into the table "I'm so sorry, but I have someone to meet soon so I'll be taking my leave. Is that okay?" Hisoka looked up at me with a frown.
"So soon?~ Well, alright, how are you getting home~?" 
"I'm going to be taking a taxi so, no worries" I smiled and nodded towards the both of them.

Turning on my heel, a voice arose behind me. "I will be leaving as well. Y/n, if you'd like, I could give you a ride home."
Illumi had also got up and was now putting on a dark grey suit jacket which had been draped over the back of his seat. 
Astonished by the sudden kind proposal, I couldn't help but feel a little suspicious.