Chapter 1: Recruitment

[Author's Note: I do not own anything related to Marvel or the wonderful being that is Pietro Maximoff. I do take credit for my OC, Christine Blake. I have the cast of the Avengers set up as their characters but I don't have a celebrity in mind for my OC. This is so, you can decide what Christine looks like other than the basics like dark "curly" tresses and hazel eyes. I want her to belong to you! If you have any questions, concerns, or ideas I would LOVE to hear them. This story is just going to be fun for me but I'm open to any ideas you might have. Constructive Criticism is welcome! I hope you enjoy reading as much as I enjoyed writing!]

>>>>>>>>>> Christine's Point of View <<<<<<<<<<

Sleep is such an incredible thing. Well it definitely would be if I wasn't jolted from it by the shrill sound of my phone ringing.

I roll over onto my stomach lazily searching the bedside table top for the noisy device.

CAUTION: Checking the caller I.D. before adjusting your eyes to your surroundings can result in a searing white light of pain.

Furrowing my brow at the rude light, I chose to just answer the stupid machine.

"Ello." I call out groggily as I twist and stretch out the stiffness in my limbs.

"Christine. It's 10:27. Are you still in bed?" My cousin Maria Hill asked me on the other end of the call.

"Well, Mars I would have been up with the sun if it hadn't been for our girls night out. But instead I shall lie here is self pity hissing at the sun for eternity."

Silence is all I get. I can't believe I've accomplished agitating her this early in the conversation.

"Sorry. Maria, although I love hearing your beautiful American voice, is there any particular reason you called?"

"Yes there is a reason. Cap has a job for you."

"Mars I've already told you I don-"

"You don't want to be apart of the Avengers initiative. I know. He knows. Even Stark knows. That isn't what I called about."

"Why does the lovely spangles need me for a job? Can't one of his recruits do it."

"The Initiative doesn't have an agent with your skill set."

"You mean an agent doesn't have my enhancements."

"... That is also true. Christine, I wouldn't have told you about this if it wasn't needed."

"Well, the least you could do is meet me for brunch and relay the details then."

I hear Maria chuckle in my ear before she sighs into a reply, "Already a step ahead. You have ten minutes to meet me at the usual place."

I smile, knowing that she isn't agitated any longer. "Sounds good. See you in ten."

"See you in ten."

I hang up the phone and get out of bed. Our usual brunch meet up is just around the corner so stressing for time isn't an option nor is it necessary.

I check the mirror and see that I'm decent enough that a messy bun is all I need for my dark curly hair and then I'm good to go. Other than the obvious of brushing teeth and actually getting out of my night clothes. I head over to the closet and pick out a pair of light wash skinny jeans, a pastel green blouse and my overly worn converses. One more check in the mirror and a satisfactory shrug later I head for the door. Grabbing my phone, coat and scarf, I head out locking the door to my tiny flat.

Within two minutes I walk into the café and head over to our usual spot where Maria is already sitting. I slide into the opposite booth giving Maria a small welcome as I take off my coat.