Chapter 17: Last Assessment and the First Mistake

{Author Note: Hey! Sorry for the long wait. Life doesn't slow down for anyone. Hope you enjoy this chapter! Thanks for your patience.}

<<<<<<<<< Christine's Point of View >>>>>>>>>>

"Great work everyone! We have officially completed the assessment training," the sounds of relief from the group fill my ears, "Tomorrow, the Maximoffs will participate in their final assessments and with these past months of training, they should pass with flying colors." I say, smiling at the twins as they receive numerous pats on the back from our colleagues. "Since I'm almost healed from the incident, this may well be the last time I will speak to you all as a whole, but don't worry recruits, I won't leave without your training points being added to your files. I'd personally like to thank you all for making this last training session possible, without you, this would have taken a great deal longer and you'd all be sick of my yelling. You're all excused. Go clean up and get ready for dinner!" I say, dismissing my little band of recruits. 

After hearing my words, the twins look shocked. To avoid confrontation, I start walking behind the recruits when Steve pops into my peripheral vision.

"So, you've made your decision." He didn't say it as a question but by the tone of his voice I felt like he was disappointed in my answer. 

"I have no reason to stay," I shrug, " I'm not built like the rest of you, I want peace. I want to wake up in the morning and have coffee at the cafe, read a book, ride my bike, and have picnics in the park. This job wasn't easy and I can't tell if it was actually worth all the effort. I never wanted this. I never wanted to push myself so much." I tell him.

"I understand," he sighs, "and I'm not going to push you into it anymore. You've proven yourself time and time again and I want you to know that I get it. This job isn't easy and you figured that out quicker than anyone. But don't forget us here, alright?" He says, stopping as he past my shoulder, "If you ever decide that you want to do this kind of stuff again, the offers always there."

As I nodded he walked off. I head off into the direction of my room to shower and file paperwork before dinner.

<<<<<<<<<< Pietro's Point of View >>>>>>>>>>

"I am shocked by this as well, Pietro. But we can't change her mind. She's too stubborn. All we have to do now is pass the assessment and get back onto missions...." I stopped listening to my sister after that. How could Christine choose to leave? What the hell would make her change her mind? I run to Steve's office. If anyone can talk to her, its him. 

"You're just going to let her leave?" I shout as I enter, I didn't bother knocking.

He turns from the window to face me, "How do you think I got her here in the first place? I had to negotiate. I told her if she got you two ready for the field, she could leave. I'm keeping my word." 

"But she can't just leave! Where will she go?" I yell in aggravation.

"She can and she will Pietro. I don't know where she'll go. I know she won't go back to England and I highly doubt she's going to stay here since she didn't mention it." He stated.

"You have to make her change her min-"

"-And what should I do? Huh? Force her into a contract, hold a gun to her head until she agrees? She won't stay. She doesn't stay anywhere for long. I'm surprised she stayed in New York with Agent Hill for as long as she did." He says to me sternly as I drop my shoulders and my head.