2.Mom, I like her

"Zavi, we need to talk." Seema Abaan said entering the study room. This was not the first time she needed to talk hence he knew what the talk was going to be about. It had been more than a week but he didn't get any response from Dua and here his mother was once again present with the 'we need to talk' topic. He sighed and closed the laptop and put it aside. 

"Yes, Mom." He stood up and ushered her towards the sofa in the left corner of the study room. 

"You know that Ashar Faiz is interested in our Shifa and even Shifa is interested in him." She began. "But Sadique, Ashar's father is not agreeing with Asher's decision to get married to Shifa because…" She paused and looked at him tentatively.

"Because?" He arched his brows. 

"Because of your past." She uttered, not meeting his gaze. He clenched his jaws and tightened his fist. His past was like a dark cloud always lurking above them ready to shower anytime and dim the light and happiness in their life. 

"Mom," He called her inadvertently. 

"I know, Zavi you did nothing wrong but all the fiasco that she created in front of the press had stained your character. No matter how much we try, we won't be able to change people's perception." She spoke, caressing his head assuringly. 

"Mom, I don't want to be the hurdle between Shifa and her happiness but what can I do?" He looked defeated and she felt like her heart getting squeezed painfully at the condition of her son. She missed the fun-loving, lively Zaviyar who died 8 years back. 

"Please get married to a nice girl. You settling down in your life is the solution to all these problems." She proposed and he looked at her with complaints in his eyes, as if saying Mom, at least you should understand that I can't but she averted her gaze and stood up. 

"Zavi, think about it properly. The marriage will clear your image as well as open the door for your sister's happiness." Saying she strode out of the study while wiping her tears. 

He plopped on the sofa haphazardly while pulling his hair in exasperation. He wanted nothing but peace in his life and it seemed like he couldn't even get that. She had robbed everything from his life. 

"You could have at least left the peace in my life." He muttered while a lone tear slipped out of the corner of his left eye. 

This night was going to be heavy on him. He sat up and brought the cigarette packets from the drawer of the centre table and the lighter. 

He dimmed the light in the study room and took a seat on the sofa. He lit a cigarette and took a long puff of it while behind the curtain of his mind, his previous life played like a movie. He continued doing it until the room was filled with smoke. As his eyes started burning due to the smoke, he came to his senses. Swiftly he opened the windows and switched on the fan and light. After ten minutes, he left for his room. It was already four in the morning but he wanted to take an hour of sleep before heading for his office. He couldn't go to them with red puffy eyes. 

***

"Ravi, call Shaan Interior and ask for an appointment." He ordered his manager as soon as entered his office. Ravi looked flabbergasted at the sudden order but he didn't ask any questions. 

"I want to change the interior of my home." Looking at the questions swirling in his eyes, he spoke and Ravi nodded. "Okay, sir."

"Do it ASAP," he pressed and opened the files that were piled up on his table.

Ravi left his office after briefing him about his schedule.

He was a successful businessman but his personal life was a mess. He would have not been bothered by the mess if it didn't include his family and if it didn't cost his sister's happiness.