9.Let me look at you

Zaviyar was grouchy because he didn't want to stay at the hospital but the doctors were not ready to discharge him before his head injury healed. He had literally snapped at Ravi for not arranging a way out of the hospital. He was too upset with the whole ordeal but everyone tried to cheer him up which worked to some extent. Today mom brought their wedding album and started showing him, happily narrating to him a few incidents that happened on the wedding day.

Luckily while taking out the album on mom's request she got her hands on the contract paper and hid it because she didn't want Zaviyar to find it before he was ready to face the truth.

She listened to mom absentmindedly as she was telling him one such story when he cut her off. "Mom, do you know how I met her?" He gestured towards Dua.

She was sitting on the single sofa placed opposite the bed, flipping the pages of the Daily Echo, stiffened in her place hearing his question and waited for mom's reply with bated breath.

"Of course," Mom enthusiastically breathed. "She was leading the team who renovated our house and you met her there." Dua looked at Zaviyar from her periphery and found him frowning.

"I don't know the details because you never shared but I know that you told me one day that you wanted to marry her. Of course, she is perfect, anybody would want her in their life." Mom's answer made him deepen his frown and before mom could elaborate further, Zaviyar started writhing and howling in pain. She jumped on her feet and reached while mom looked at him with a panic-stricken face, the album slipped from her hands.

Dua screamed for the doctors.

***

The doctor said that it happened because he was straining his mind to remember things. He was asleep now, under medicine. Haidar had taken mom home because she had been crying continuously after the incident.

A tear rolled down her eyes as she looked at his blanched face. His face was still contorted in pain. She went near him and caressed his cheeks as gently as possible. "I love you." She whispered, pecking his bandaged forehead.

A knock on the door made her straighten up. "Yes,"

"Mam, I brought you dinner," Ravi said, extending a parcel.

She took it from him with thanks. "Ravi, you can go home. I will be here so don't worry." She saw the dark circle under his eyes. She had seen him on his toes after the accident and felt like he deserved a rest otherwise he might fall sick.

"Mam, I..."

Dua cut him off.

"...I will call you if needed. Now go. You need rest as well."

He nodded before leaving.

She shut the door and sat down to have dinner. She was just done with dinner when Haidar arrived. "Where is Ravi?" He asked, looking around.

"I sent him home."

Haidar grimaced. "You should have at least waited for me before sending him back."

She shrugged. "I didn't know you were coming back."

"I wouldn't leave him alone." He gestured towards Zaviyar.

Her nose flared in fury. "Get your eyes checked. I was here the whole time."

"Of course," he said, sprawling on the sofa.

She gawked at him on his action, not paying attention to his words.

Finding her voice, she grumbled. "Where will I sleep?"

"Not my problem." Saying he covered himself with a sheet and closed his eyes.

She gritted her teeth and barely stopped herself from strangling him with her bare hands. Basically Haidar was upset because Zaviyar gave her more importance than him and it irked him. To get even he started getting on Dua's nerves.