24. The pink one

"How dare you propose such things to me?" She rose to her feet with a sudden jerk, shooting him a deathly glare that bore the weight of past grievances. "Just because I left five years ago without signing the divorce papers doesn't mean I wanted anything to do with you. I was shaken by your accusations, and all I wanted was out."

"Dua—" he began, only to be interrupted by the stern display of her palm, signaling him to withhold any words. "Hush, no words," she commanded, grabbing her bag from the table. "I thought we were here to discuss the divorce procedure. If I had known your intentions, I wouldn't have come. I'm not interested in talking to you. Next time, before calling me to convince me for reunion, remember that, I hate you and we have no future together."

She walked out of the cafe, not sparing him a second glance. He sat there with pursed lips, reflecting on his past attitude toward her. Five years ago, he had set her on a path of revenge, and today, he felt the scorching heat of the fire he had ignited. He wanted to express his regret for the actions he took in a fit of rage, actions that were now pushing her to repeat the same mistakes.

It had been a week since he last saw his daughter. Initially furious at Dua for hiding their child, he eventually realized that his own hurtful words and actions had driven her to such a drastic decision. He loved both of them, and while he wanted his daughter in his life, he wanted Dua just as much. It seemed she was determined to part ways, but this time, he resolved not to give up on her. He was determined to repent, to heal the wounds he had caused, and to bring her back into his life. He pledged to be steadfast in his mission, regardless of how long and challenging it might be. Over the last five years, he had come to understand her true worth. She was a gem and he was going to keep her till eternity.

***

"Are you out of your mind?" She snapped when Ghazal suggested considering Zaviyaar's offer to reconcile. "Am I a puppet or something?"

"I understand your point of view, but please don't make any rash decisions," Ghazal implored.

"I have already decided. I am going to proceed with the divorce," she stated with finality.

"Dua," Ghazal spoke softly. "Please, for the sake of your daughter, give it some thought, or at least wait for some time."

"Ghazal—"

"Please."

"Okay," she sighed. "But my decision is going to be the same, no matter how long I take to ponder about it."

Ghazal remained silent, hoping that, in the end, her friend would find her happily ever after, whether with Zaviyaar or someone else. She deserved a life partner who would cherish her and if Zaviyaar had learnt his lesson and was ready to give her the due respect, love and attention, then in her opinion, he was the best man for her, because not only it would provide Farisha with a stable environment, it would also bring the person, Dua loved in her life. She was her best friend and she knew, Dua was not over him. She still loved him.

***

Upon Farisha's incessant demand, she reluctantly made the call to Zaviyaar for a visit. Farisha, ever since discovering her father, had become a rebellious child throwing tantrums.

"Mumma," she spoke. "When is papa coming?"

"Soon," she replied, busily folding clothes.

"Mumma," she jumped on the bed, staring at her mother's face. "Are you still upset with papa? Did he not apologize?"

"Why would I be upset with your papa?" She froze, realizing her daughter had been gauging them.

"Because he hurt you," Farisha's lips wobbled. "Mumma, would you forgive him if I apologized on his behalf?"

Her eyes widened in disbelief. Was it her four-year-old daughter?

"Isha, meri jaan," she left the clothes and approached her daughter. "He didn't hurt me and I am not upset with your father."

"Then why don't you hug and kiss each other like Olivia's parents did?"

She was speechless; her daughter had picked up on the tension. Sighing, she pushed the strands of hair from her face. "Baby, your papa and I are not friends." She didn't want to keep her in the dark, especially when she planned to part ways with him.

"Why?" Isha whined. "I want you to get along with papa. He is a nice person. He loves me, and he loves you too."

"How do you know he loves me?" She didn't know why she asked that question.

"He has your picture in his wallet."

Her heart skipped a beat at this revelation, but she quickly shook her head. She wasn't going to tread the same path and end up with nothing but shattered self.

She released an exasperated breath. "Your father will be here in fifteen minutes. Don't you want to get ready?"

"Yes, please."

"Which dress do you want to wear today?"

"The pink one."

"Okay, let's get you ready."

She was thankful that Isha got distracted for now, but she dreaded any such conversation in the future. Isha's innocent demand had the power to waver her from her decision, and this time she was determined to stick to the plan.

Happy reading!!!