19. Seher, my child

As expected, Farisha couldn't handle the heat and fell sick. Initially, she felt a little feverish which increased by the night.
Dua was worried but also she didn't want to bother Moin or Saira at night. She somehow managed the night, applying cool compresses to reduce the fever. 

As soon as the dawn broke, she got ready and dressed up Farisha as well. She was in a rush to take her to the doctor. She wanted to drive alone but Moin insisted on tagging along. 

The doctor examined Farisha and suggested that she be admitted for a few hours.

Moin had work so he left. Dua was grateful and hesitant as well to keep the vehicle while he returned from public transport. She thought of arranging a vehicle as soon as possible. 

Thankfully an hour later Farisha was feeling well. She left Farisha under the care of one of the nurses to fetch a few medicines. 

She was rushing towards the pharmacy when she crashed into a familiar figure. 

"Mom," she murmured with wide eyes. 

"Dua," She heard the woman mutter in surprise. 

Seconds later she was pulled into a bone-crushing hug. "Seher, my child!" 

She could hear her whimpers while a sob escaped her throat. 

It took them a few minutes to calm themselves down. 

Seema pulled away and gazed at her with a plethora of emotions swirling in her eyes, most prominent was love. 

"How are you?" She asked as the apprehensive silence prevailed. 

"How do you think a mother should be after her daughter's sudden disappearance?"

The question had caught her off-guard so was the love that she saw in her eyes. She had comprehended that Seema would hate her after knowing the truth. 

"Why do you look surprised, Dua?" She asked, holding her hand. "You thought I would detest you."

Dua nodded, not wanting to lie to Seema anymore. At Least not after feeling her unconditional love. 

"Can we talk?" Seema asked tentatively. 

Before she could answer, Farisha came running towards her while the nurse followed. 

"Mumma," she bellowed, hugging her knees. 

"She is going to hurt me." She pointed towards the nurse. 

"Mam, I was just going to give her the injection." The nurse clarified, flustered from running. 

"Isha," She glared at her daughter for creating trouble. 

She picked her up when her gaze fell on Seema who was gawking at Farisha. 

A fear gripped Dua's heart. What if she was going to tell Zaviyar about Farisha? Even though eventually she was going to tell him everything because that's why we were here but she needed a little time to sort out their relationship before introducing her to them.

No matter how scared she was to expose Farisha to Seema, she didn’t want to be selfish. Also sooner or later she was going to introduce Farisha to them. Right now she could just politely request Seema to not spill the beans for a few more days. 

"Is she…?" Seema's lips quivered. 

Dua knew what she was asking. She nodded and Seema reached for Farisha. She hugged her and cried. Cried for the lost times, lost happiness and wrong decisions that were made in the past. She cried for the beautiful girl in her arms. She cried out of sadness. She cried out of happiness. Her emotions were muddled. Her emotions were all over the place. 

***

"I'm sorry for keeping her away from you all."

"No, Dua. It wasn't your fault." Seema shook her head in disagreement. "You were just trying to protect your heart and we all should be allowed to do that."

Dua felt ashamed for misjudging her. She had always thought that Seema wouldn't be at all positive towards her after learning the truth but here she was defending her mistakes as well. 

"Can I come to meet her?" The question broke Dua's heart. 

"Of course, mom."  She was hesitant to call her mom first but sensing her hesitation Seema had asked her to call her mom only. 

"Are you married?" 

Seema's question threw her off.

Was she not aware of the whole truth? 

"Do not get me wrong. I would be glad if you moved on." She looked at her cautiously. "I was just anxious perhaps he wouldn't like my visit to your place."

"There's nothing like that mom. You can come whenever you want."
She didn't know what Zaviyar had told her, it was better she stayed vague in this matter until it was resolved. 
She looked at Seema hesitantly. "Can you not tell anything to Zaviyar about Farisha for a few more days? Just for a few more days."
Seems nodded understandingly. "Sure."

Seema took the address and left with a peck on sleeping Farisha's head. 

***

They had returned home by the evening as Farisha was relatively better. 

Moin and Saira were there to visit her and left after an hour but Moiz wasn't ready to leave Farisha for a second. He kept telling her stories about his school animatedly, making her laugh. 

Dua smiled and sauntered towards the kitchen to prepare dinner. While she prepared dinner, her mind remained tangled with different thoughts. Farisha's sickness had pushed her meeting with Zaviyar to a few days ahead. She didn't know what Zaviyar had told his mother after she left but one thing she was sure of was that he had told her that they were divorced. Otherwise, why would she ask about her husband which wasn't her son? 

She made vegetable soup for Farisha and Jeera rice and paneer for herself and Moiz. 

Farisha seemed to be doing fine so she served them all dinner at the dining table. 

She called the kids and they came running. 

"Mumma, Moiz's school seems interesting. I want to go to his school." Farisha demanded taking her seat near her. 

Moiz's face brightened up with the idea of her going to the same school as his. He looked at her expectantly. Dua didn't want to lie to them but also didn't want their happiness to dim. She didn't know whether she was going to stay here or return to Canada after the divorce. The future seemed uncertain. 

"We will see to that after you are completely fit and fine but for now have your food." 

The kids nodded in agreement. 

Sometimes she wondered how easy it was to make the kids happy and how easy it was for them to dream. They didn't hesitate to hope and dream even when chances of turning everything to their expectations were thin. 

She wished she could do the same. She wished she could hope for a beautiful future. But she couldn't because she had seen life up close. Close enough to know that happiness was a fleeting moment while it was pain, loneliness and sorrows that stayed. 

Happy reading!!