3: Theme (Harry)

Why had I agreed to take on the theme? It's probably the hardest part of the whole event planning! Why didn't I take on catering? Or music? I could do music. In fact...

Thumbing through my phone, I find love songs of the 60s, and Percy Sledge hits my ears. Yep. I should have volunteered to do music. Oh! Maybe a music theme? Smacking my palm to my forehead, I groan at myself. This is Gemma's wedding. Not mine.

Rubbing my hand over my face, I pause when I arrive at my moustache. It's filled out again this week, and I'm so proud of it. No matter what anyone thinks. The first time I really grew it out was during the pandemic. Those were tough times with lots of navel-gazing, and I was all alone. Harry, you're no good alone. While Jeffrey and Glenne were loved up with nowhere to go, I grew bored, so as an experiment, I quit shaving. You know, just to see if I could do it. After 26 years, I was finally able to grow a proper 'stache, and I wondered if it might provide a smidge of a disguise for me when out in public, but nope. For whatever reason, I've become what appears to be even more recognisable by both rookie and veteran fans. I scratch at my chin because my beard is growing in, and it's a bit itchy. Might go for a full beard this time. Hmmmm...

Mum would have a fit. What if I keep it groomed? Closer to my face? Less unruly? Ruly? Could I keep it 'ruly'? Was that even a word?

Distracted by my thoughts, I glide to the computer in my purple robe, white gym socks, and nothing else before typing in the word. What pops up makes me laugh heartily as I read the definition aloud. "'Ruly: adjective. and : A , his '." Perfect! Closing the browser window, I switch to my list of potential wedding themes, culled from several bridal magazines. Thank goodness my assistant was willing to pick them up for me. Can you imagine the rumours if I'd been spotted out buying bride's magazines?

Taking a pen, I cross off the ones that definitely don't fit my sister, starting with Western, Star Wars, Ancient Greece, and Nautical. Then there are the ones that would be great for MY wedding, but not Gemma's: Marvel movies, Sunflowers, and Vintage 50s, 60s, or 70s. A few are just wild, and after laughing, I cross them off the list. Kawaii, the Japanese culture of cuteness, goes out the window alongside Super Marios Brothers. Outdoor weddings? Nope. Not in the summer. Not without a large tent at least. She burns too easily. It's a giant no to Punk, Goth, Disney Princess, and Pets so they are swiftly eliminated too. No idea why I ever wrote them down in the first place.

In the end, I'm left with a much shorter list than expected. Sustainability is a theme that fits my sister's priorities and goals, but I'm not sure having compostable decorations and tableware is the right vibe for her wedding. Some brides are hosting Multisensory weddings, but that also sounds dangerous with all of the touching. The final list includes both as options plus Secret Garden, Geometric, Literary, and Winery.

"I'm surprised she's even doing a summer wedding. She's much more of an autumn bride." My voice echoes in the house. It's not my fault I'm used to talking to myself most days, and especially when I'm home alone.

"Ugh. This is harder than it should be."

On the computer, I scroll through Pinterest and some wedding idea boards. If only I could hire Molly to plan something. After all, she's the creative designer. I just tell her what the aesthetic for an album or a tour should be. The mood it should create. And then she does her magic and brings it to me for adjustments.

Elegant but playful. Strategically colourful. Meaningful and frivolous. Romantic and practical. Gems is definitely a world of contradictions. Exhaling, I open my newest journal - recycled Italian leather with unlined heavy paper – and scribble the words "Vibrant Vibe". If only I had someone to bounce ideas around with.

Loren.

Nope. Not her.

"Shit. If only I understood why she's so pissed at me."