19: Robin (Loren)

No one answers when I knock on the door although Harry's vehicle is in the drive. Juggling the case of gin I'd brought for Anne over to one side of my body, I pat my pockets for the keys, but the balancing act is precarious, so I place the bottles of liquor down as I fumble through my pockets first and then my handbag, finally retrieving the Love on Tour keychain I'd been gifted last year. With the front door finally open, I place the case of gin just inside the entryway before heading back to my vehicle for my overnight case.

Two nights in the same house as Harry should be scaring me shitless, but I'm actually rather excited about the time together. Now that we've maybe moved beyond our past, we can reconnect. Talk again. Reform our friendship perhaps. Dare I hope we can rebuild what I destroyed?

"Anne?" I call, leaving my suitcase in the hall as I pick up the gin. "Harry?"

"In here," Anne's voice reaches me, and I wander into the living room to find Anne sitting on the sofa, wringing her hands, a laptop in front of her. "No, H. It's still not working." Rising, my favourite mama smiles as I place the box of bottles on the coffee table.

"Where do you want these, Anne?"

"Oh, you're such a dear! Thank you for bringing me some Rapier Wit. You can leave it there. I'll put it away later."

"Don't be silly. I can put it away. Just wanted to make sure you know that I've included a bottle of our newest pine gin which isn't available on the market yet, so be careful with whom you share."

My warning is waved away as Anne grins. "If you think I'm sharing Rapier Wit gin with anyone but immediate family, you don't know me well."

My heart grows warm and fuzzy at her reassurance. When I carry the box across the room to her bar area, I spy legs on the floor.

"H? What are you doing?"

He grumbles, his voice gruff. "Trying to fix the damn internet. Put that away and help me."

"Um? Please?" I warn, and he huffs.

"Fine. Please." But the tone is filled with bite, and I can't help but giggle as I unpack the bottles of gin and place them in Anne's cabinets, noting she only has a half bottle of our signature gin left, having either drunk the rest or given it away to others. My heart is happy that she enjoys my product. In fact, I'm filled with such pride that I don't even complain when I sit criss crossed on the floor next to Harry's thighs.

"What are you trying to do?"

"The router isn't connecting properly to the modem, but the ISP says everything is fine."

"Did you check to see if the modem could connect directly to her computer via ethernet?"

"No." It's his pouty voice, and I ignore it. Standing, I cross to where Anne had been sitting, briefly wondering where she's disappeared, and pick up her laptop. Carrying it back to Harry's location, I return to my criss cross position on the floor.

"Pass me the ethernet cable please." When his hand extends behind him holding the cable, I attach it to the laptop port. "Hmmm..."

"What the fuck does that mean?" he inquires, his arse wiggling as he twists to look at me. "Oh, hi. You look cute tonight." He waggles his eyebrows, and I smile.

"You look like a dork" is my reply, and he kicks at me so I back away as far as the ethernet cord will allow.

"And? What's the verdict?" he wonders.

"The problem is clearly not with the modem. Are you sure the router is connected correctly?"

"Well it's not connected now, Freak. You've got the ethernet cord."