44: Perfect (Harry)

"That's Mr. and Mrs. Relish." Gemma gestured towards the couple laughing with Mum and Robin in the lobby before the pantomime. "So Loren must be here somewhere."

I crane my eyes, but don't spot her. Moving closer to Mum, I start to ask where Loren is when suddenly, someone grabs my elbow, yanking me away. "Where are you going?"

Huffing at her abrupt question, I shrug, "Maybe I was trying to find you."

"Too late," she grins, "I found you first." She hugs Gemma before she turns to me. "What are you most excited about?"

"I've been practising my hissing and booing," I proudly report. "You're sitting with us, right?"

Like a balloon, she deflates as though there's a slow leak. "No. Have to sit with my mum and da."

"Can I meet them?" My eagerness is met with a silent shake of her head before she grabs Gemma's hand and pulls my sister away from me.

Not that she can since I stay close behind them.

"Did you see who's here?" Loren quietly says to Gems. "Finley!"

"No way!" Stretching her neck in an attempt to see over the crowd, my sister seeks out her current crush.

Spying him, we all start to edge that way when a voice trills from behind us. "Loren! We're going to our seats now."

Instantly, Loren's countenance droops. "See you later," she whispers to Gemma, hugging her again before trailing behind her parents.

"I wanted to meet them," I pout.

Gemma's eyes narrow. "No, you don't. Come help me bump into Finn."

"When I told my mum we were coming to the pantomime with Anne and Darren, she insisted on inviting herself and my dad," Loren tells me in an aside as we arrive at the theatre.

Finally! I'm going to meet her parents.

Loren bites her lip and clutches her pocketbook closer to her in a death grip that might damage the leather if she's not careful. Her jaw appears to be clenched as well.

Wow. I've seen her tense, but never quite like this.

Stepping out of the car, Loren barely acknowledges me as I place my hand on her back. Now that Mum and Gems know we're together, I'm not even remotely concerned about being photographed together, and Loren has made it clear that it's not on the list of things she's worried about. Still, it's one of the first times we've publicly been out as a couple doing couple things. Like, you know, an actual date.

"There they are," Anne points, and I'm relieved that my arm is on Loren's waist as she stumbles slightly so I can support her. Keep her on her feet.

Her discomfort is palpable. As we approach her parents, Loren pastes a wide smile on her face.

"Mum. Dad. You made it." She busses them on their cheeks, her father resting his hand on her waist briefly. "You remember Anne?"

"Of course!" Her mother crows. "As beautiful as ever, Anne. I was so sorry to hear about your last husband."

"His name was Robin, Mum," Loren inserts.

"I hadn't forgotten, Loren," her mother chastises before reaching out a hand to Mum. "Robin was a lovely gentleman. But congratulations on locating this handsome man to take his place." Twisting to Darren, she smiles broadly, "Good evening! I'm Prissy. Short for Priscilla."

"Darren," Mum's beau nods, shaking her hand before extending it to Loren's father. "And you must be –"

"Ian," Loren's grinning father grips Darren's hand.