33: Happy (Loren)

The sun is still high in the sky when we exit Rapier Wit, and I cannot be blamed for my jaunty step. Naturally, Harry calls me out on it.

"You seem happy, Lor," he smiles, and I twirl in the middle of the sidewalk, my face taking in the sun.

"I feel good, H."

"Obviously. Wanna share with the class?"

Stepping close to him, I walk backwards and tilt my head up for a kiss which he provides without hesitation or comment. Turning to walk next to him, I grasp his hand, swinging our conjoined hands between us.

"Can't a girl just be happy for no reason?"

"Of course," he smiles. "My question was mere curiosity."

Basking in my feelings for a moment, I process the day until we arrive at the car. "Priyanka always says that whatever I'm feeling, I need to feel it fully. Which I usually hate because I'm used to shoving my feelings as far down as possible. But today, I feel happy, and I want to cherish the emotion. Sharing my workspace with you today, H – it felt so natural. So right."

Knowingly, he nods. "Max says the same thing about feeling your feelings. Is Priyanka single? Maybe we should set them up?"

"Maybe we should," I smile, my back against the passenger door to the car.

With a glint in his eye, he leans down and kisses me again. I could get used to this. Being giddy. Stealing kisses whenever I feel like it. The kiss isn't long, but it's enough. After we're buckled up, he starts the car and manoeuvres out of the garage.

"Straight back to your place?" he inquires politely.

The thoughts that run through my head are uncensored as they escape through my mouth. "Damn. As much as I would love another quality snog session, I'm thinking we should probably go to Anne's so I can pick up my car."

"Oh." His disappointment overwhelmingly drips with the single utterance.

"Doesn't mean you can't come back to Manchester with me afterwards," I flirt. Holy shit. I'm flirting with Harry! All except batting the lashes. Not sure how to do that. Well, I'm sure I could, but I'd look like an idiot.

"No, it's fine," he sighs. "Probably best if I stay with her and go back to London tomorrow. We've got product meetings for Pleasing, and it's better if I'm there in person. We've tried to meet via Zoom, but we inevitably end up with the wrong colours."

I feel his absence already, and I remind myself that he's still here. Grab back that giddy feeling, Lor! You can do it. Claw it back.

"Makes sense," I comment. "I could always go get my car another time?" It's a question because I kind of want to bail on the plan and just hole up in my flat with him for another night. "You could leave from here for London tomorrow?"

"True," he hedges, but we both know it's not practical. I need my car, and he would have a shorter drive from Anne's house back to London.

"Maybe I could stay at Anne's tonight and drive back to Manchester tomorrow?" I'm grasping at straws because I hate to think that we haven't set a date when we'll be together again. Uncomfortably, he shifts in his seat, and I switch my eagle eye to him. "Spill it, H."

Harry swallows, and I grow nervous. Good thing I cherished that little bit of happiness back at the distillery since the tide has definitely turned.

"It's just... I don't think we should let on to Mum yet that we're –"

When he pauses, I consider how he might have finished that sentence. "Ah. Yes. I understand. We haven't defined this, have we?"

"This is not the right place or time to have that conversation," he remarks. "I want to have this conversation over candlelight and soft music. Not while I'm driving and can't give you my full attention."