5: Proposal (Harry)

"Gems? Thanks for helping me with my project," I check the clock in my bedroom. "I think it's close enough now that I can finish it on my own."

"Are you sure?"

"Uh, yeah. I'm sure. Or we could just take a break and finish it later?"

We're sitting on my bed upstairs, listening to King of Leon's new cd which Gemma had brought home from uni. For a brief moment, feel guilty for tricking her like this, but it's all for a good cause.

"Whatever you want, little brother." Reaching over, she ruffles my hair.

"Let's go get a snack, and then we can finish."

Pretending to be a gentleman, I gesture for her to proceed down the stairs ahead of me which is why I don't get to see her face when all of her friends jump out and yell "Suprise!" But her squeal of delight is enough to make me happy. I'd pulled it off!

Turning around, she punches me in the arm. "You dork. Did you even have a project for school?"

"Nope," I smile, waggling my eyebrows. "It was Loren's idea."

Just like that, the sea of people parts and Loren appears from the direction of the kitchen, holding a cake with 18 lit candles on it. Gemma bursts into tears, laughing as she blows out the candles.

Later, when everything has settled and most of the group are playing a game in the backyard, Loren comes over to me. "Good job, dork. Did she suspect at all?"

"Give me a break, Freak. I'm a good actor. She had no idea at all."

"Oh, yay! Your sister is not the easiest person on the planet to plan a surprise for."

Sheepishly, I shuffle my feet. "Thanks for letting me help, Lor."

She ruffles my hair just like Gems had, "Three Musketeers, dork. All for one and one for all."

Glancing at the sign as we pull into the restaurant, I'm pleased. I love a curry! The thought is quickly chased away with another one. What's Loren got up her sleeve? What if she hadn't done her part? Found a caterer or prepared the guest lists?

Shit. Perhaps I should have called her after all. Just to check.

Holding the restaurant door for Gemma, I glance around the packed room, seeking Loren, but don't spot her anywhere. The smell of curry tickles my nose, and I can't wait to order some palak matar. After all, I do love a pea as much as I love a curry.

"Come on," Gemma encourages, walking through the crowd to the back and through a separate door. Twisting her head to me, my sister asks, "Didn't Loren tell you where we were meeting?"

Panic floods my system, making my heart rate and temperature both rise. Fake it, Styles. "Of course she did. I just didn't pay close attention to the details."

In the private dining room, Loren rises to hug Gemma before nodding at me and gesturing to a table.

"Shall we? They'll start bringing in the dishes so we can try them all out."

At a table for four, we settle with Loren facing me. Not ideal, but so far I haven't screwed anything up beyond repair. Gemma is still none the wiser to the fact that we have planned our parts separately.

Bustling in with three plates, the server ceremoniously places the tableware in front of each of us before clapping his hands. Three others enter the room, each carrying dishes. They set the trays on the table, removing the domes with dramatic flourishes.