24: Teenage Dream (Harry)

What kind of weird alternate dimension have we entered? A few months ago, we weren't even talking. Two weeks ago, we were rehashing the hurtful things that had driven us apart. Now we're naked and just a few feet apart with only a few flimsy bubbles to protect our privacy. Later, we'll be sleeping together. Sharing a bed, I mean. It's unlikely I'll actually get any sleep with her within an arm's reach.

When Loren opens her eyes after I've lowered myself under the bubbles, I spy a moment of appreciation. Confident it's not for me but rather for the warm water, I wink at her. "Feels nice after the cold rain, doesn't it?"

"Indeed," she purrs, raising goose pimples on my skin just before she dunks her hair in the water. Grasping the shampoo, she lathers her hair, and I refuse to watch the way her arms jiggle as she scrubs at her scalp. Or the way her tits bounce just under the water. And I definitely don't pay any attention to that tender spot of skin in her armpits. When she's finished washing her hair, she adds conditioner for a brief moment before rinsing it out. Each time she ducks under the water, I hold my breath, hoping a nipple might pop to the surface. None ever does.

Her collarbones are the sexiest I've seen on any woman. They're delicate. Kissable.

Apparently having completed her goals, she tilts her wet head back onto the edge of the tub and closes her eyes. "Don't let me fall asleep in here. I'll end up a shrivelled raisin."

Her description causes me to shudder. Definitely don't want her to think about things that might shrivel. In the water or otherwise. With her plump lips visible, I lick my own lips. I wonder what she tastes like these days.

Definitely should not be thinking about my friend this way. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Following her lead, I tilt my head back and attempt to meditate as I allow the water to swirl around me as the jets circulate the bubbles.

"You want to kiss me?" Loren asks, seemingly surprised as she's raised one eyebrow in that way she has.

I bob my head, unable to look at her after a quick glance. "Please, Lor? They'll know if I don't." I gesture towards the closed door, hoping she won't ask questions. "What's the worst that can happen?"

"Dork," she begins, and I am dejected. I knew she was going to say no. "Why me? You can spin that bottle multiple times tonight."

"It has to be you," I plead in a whisper.

"Why?"

Grrrrr. She's not going to budge on this unless I give her an answer that makes sense to her. But there's no way I can tell her that I have longed to kiss her for ages now. Every time we're together in fact, my body reacts to hers. She's fit. Sexy. Perfect.

What reason will she believe?

"I just..." shuffling my feet, I debate whether to come out with the truth, but ultimately decide a little lie will do instead. "...this girl told me I'm a bad kisser. And I can't test out my kissing skills on Gemma – ew! – or anyone else because I don't know who to trust. I need to know, Lor. You'll tell me the truth, right? If I'm a bad kisser or not?"

Gathering my courage, I look at her face where I can see that she's starting to melt. She's going to do it. She's going to kiss me. I can tell.

With a deep sigh, she relents. "Okay, fine, Dork. I'll kiss you."

"And you'll tell me if it's good? Or how to fix it if it's not?"

Her mouth tilts down in a frown, but she nods in agreement, and my heart soars. Finally! She's leaving for uni soon, and this might be the last chance I get to take this leap. Perhaps she'll kiss me and realise that she's fallen in love with me?