13: I've Got You (Harry)

"I'm excited for you to see what we offer. Our wedding planner works with each bride and groom to create an experience that meets their dreams. You're seeking a venue for your..." Mr. Martin offers with a glance towards Loren, "sister?"

His tone causes me to bristle because it's clear to me what he's implying with the glance at Loren. This guy thinks Loren and I are shopping for our own wedding. Idiot. "That's correct. My sister Gemma has asked her best friend," I nod towards Loren, "and I to scout some locations ahead of time."

"Of course, Mr. Styles." Bowing, the manager guides us through the hallways, pointing out different spaces in the castle and providing a history lesson. As he reaches a door to the gardens, he opens it with a flourish, releasing us into the late afternoon sun.

"We have lovely gardens on the estate if your sister would enjoy an outdoor wedding. Over here in the Rose Gardens, you'll see that we've set up some lawn games for tonight's wedding. The guests will have fun both before the wedding and during the reception. We have games for adults or children, and some games that both groups can play together." He guides us down a pathway with hedges on either side.

Loren catches her breath as we enter a clearing, and find her staring over the hedges.

"The channel..." she sighs, "...it's a marvellous view from here."

Joining her, I observe the stunning landscape, and the breeze that brushes over my skin smells salty and briny. Part of me wants to stand here forever. Part of me – my bladder – has other plans. Mr. Martin escorts us further into the open area where I spy a pagoda with chairs set up. It's an elegant yet private location, and I can picture Gemma getting married here.

"We can set up this area for as many as 80 guests. The orangery is also available for up to 100 guests. It's not currently available because we only use it in July and August, but I'll gladly show you the space."

"Thank you, but not right now," I am becoming uncomfortably aware of my need to wee.

"Very well. I'll show you your lodgings. This way." Gesturing along the path, he allows us to walk ahead of him which seems senseless. After all, we've no idea where we're headed. At the end of the pathway, though, is an open area with four lodges. Never have I been so grateful to find that we don't have far to go. My bladder is decidedly unhappy at the short wait and brisk walk.

Removing a key card from his pocket, the manager opens the door with a flourish. "Our best property, Mr. Styles. This is Cove Lodge. The kitchen is fully stocked exactly as you requested, although you can choose to have meals delivered directly to you. Additionally, there are a variety of pubs and restaurants in town, of course."

As politely as I can, I nod at his words while my mind is elsewhere. As soon as I've tipped him and accepted the key, I scramble for the loo.

"H? Where are you going?" Loren inquires.

"I feel the need," I call back to her.

"The need to wee?" she responds, laughing at our old Top Gun joke.

I'm surprised she's remembered anything from our childhood as she's so different now.

Is she really, H?

Relieving my bladder and washing my hands, I consider the question. Truly there is much about her that has stayed the same, and I'm appreciative. It appears she's kept the best parts of the child and teen she was, growing into a mature version of herself. The person I once knew so well.

Exiting the loo, I nearly stumble over our luggage, stealthily placed in the front hallway by the staff. Assuming Loren has claimed a bedroom already, I wander into the kitchen to find out if they've truly stocked the kitchen as I requested.