38: Truth or Dare (Gemma)

The moment I open the door to my brother and best friend, I know that something has shifted. Unable to put my finger on what has changed, I wrap my bestie in a hug as she squeals, "GEMS!" Someone passing in the hall might think we hadn't seen each other in decades, but neither Loren nor I care what others think.

Loren has always given the best hugs. Well, almost the best. I will forever contend that my brother gives the ultimate hug. Loren's hugs are similar to Harry's though. She wraps you up tightly, her nose nestled in your neck as both arms engulf you and squeeze. When you're hugging Loren, it's like your pieces are being put back together again after drifting away so subtly that you don't know they're out of whack until Loren reconstructs you. It's been like this as long as I've known her.

In emergency circumstances, the person I want on my team is Loren. Her calm demeanour always lessens my anxiety, and her critical thinking skills mean she'll develop a dozen divergent solutions to any dilemma.

"Thanks for picking her up from the train, H," I grin as he gives me a quick hug.

"Of course," he mumbles, but there's something in the way he says it that makes me look at him twice. Unable to suss out exactly what's tapping at my intuition, I shake off the odd feeling. Or try to anyway.

"Three Musketeers weekend now commences!" I announce proudly, so happy to have my favourite peeps in my space. "I know it's late..."

"Sorry," Loren mumbles, "I couldn't get an earlier train, and I did take the high speed one from Manchester." Her defensiveness makes me reach out and grasp her hand as Harry closes the door to my flat.

"Lor –" I attempt to soothe, "Don't be silly! I'm glad you made it down tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow. Now –" taking a deep breath, "I've planned three things for tonight if you're okay with it. First of all...we're going to have some falafel waffles I made from this recipe I found. It's served with all of the usual accoutrements, including homemade baba ganoush, homemade hummus, olives, and feta cheese alongside a simple salad."

"Holy shit, Gemma!" Loren exclaims. "That sounds amazing!"

Her words and tone make me beam with pride. I'm chuffed at my vegetarian menu. "Thanks, bestie! I'm rather proud of the falafels. They're already made so I just need to heat them."

"Can I help?"

"Of course! Your job is choosing the perfect drink to accompany our meal. Harry, you can set the table on the balcony."

While Harry busies himself with locating placemats, napkins, and silverware, Loren surveys the liquor cabinet. Within minutes, we're all sat at the table on the balcony to enjoy the Mediterranean feast, complete with an ouzo cocktail Loren has created with lemon, honey, and mint.

"This looks amazing," Harry prompts, picking up his fork.

"Indeed!" Tucking into my dinner, I try to narrow down what's niggling at my brain. My eyes rove between the two of them, trying to put my finger on the thing.

"Lor! Come with me to Harry's show at the Garage on Saturday! He's launching his solo career finally. Can you believe it?" The excitement in my voice is warranted. My baby brother is doing it, and I for one can't wait to see it.

Her voice has an odd reluctance to it. "This Saturday? Um...I'm not sure I can, Gems. Harry will be amazing as always, but you don't need me there."

"Don't be ridiculous, Lor. When's the last time you saw him live anyway?"

"Eh, with 1D somewhere. He won't miss me."

Shock courses through my body. What the hell is she talking about? "Of course he'll miss you! We're the Three Musketeers, Lor. Besides, Robin and Mum are going to be there. They would be incredibly disappointed to not see you."