20: Missing You (Harry)

"So this guy walks up to a widow at her husband's funeral and says, 'May I just say one word?' Looking at him, unable to recall how he might know her dead husband, she replies, 'Sure,' Taking a deep breath, the guy says, 'Plethora.' The widow says, 'Thanks. That means a lot.'"

Loren and Mum start laughing immediately while I'm delayed a moment. Not because I don't get the joke or find it somehow unfunny. It's a cute joke with the play on the word "plethora". My delay is caused by the fact that I am caught up in watching Loren's face. Her expressions. The way her eyes crease when she laughs, nearly making the blue orbs disappear. The way her mouth turns up on the right corner when she says the word 'plethora'. The way her nose crinkles and flares when she's preparing to giggle but stops herself in order to finish telling the joke.

I've missed her face in this animated state. Every time I've seen her in the last decade, her face has been closed to me. No expressions. No vibrancy. So this – seeing her like this again – it's a treat.

Mum rises from the table. "Guess I better clean up our mess before Darren gets here to pick me up."

Eyes narrowing, Loren gazes carefully at Mum. "Mhm. And where are you lovebirds off to tonight?"

Shrugging, my mum answers nonchalantly. "Hey. I didn't know the two of you were invading until late in the week, and we'd already made plans – wait. Why am I explaining myself to you, young lady? I'm an adult."

"Well, why don't you go get ready?" Loren stands, holding out her hands for the plates. "Harry and I will clean up."

"What?" I blink. "Says who?"

"Me," Loren orders, winking. "Besides, I can't wait to see you all dolled up, Anne. I'm sure you'll be stunning."

Glancing between the two of us, Mum shakes her head as she's giving in. "I confess that I wouldn't mind some extra time to put on a fresh face."

"Go!"

With Loren's command, my mum scurries inside while Loren checks the table. "Bring in the glasses, would you, H?"

As I nod, she vanishes inside.

When I glance at the clock, I'm astonished to find it's nearly two o'clock in the afternoon. Rubbing my eyes, I ponder whether it's time to get out of bed and head downstairs to eat something. Picking up my phone, I'm met by a reminder that it's Mum's birthday. As if I could forget! I've gotten her the coolest present ever, and I know she's going to be thrilled by the designer pillows for her outside benches. After all, she spends nearly as much time outside as she does inside.

Picking up a shirt off the floor, I sniff it. Not smelling anything too sour, I draw it over my chest before I fashion my hair into a quick bun. It's finally getting long enough that I can consistently put it up which means I don't have to wash it as often. Pulling on some jeans that are lying near the door, I hop around as I zip them up. Stumbling down the stairs, I truly appreciate how nice it is to be at Mum's house even if only for a few days. I've got to get to Erskine House at some point, but right now I'm content to be in Holmes Chapel again.

Hearing voices in the kitchen, I pause before entering.

"I'm sure he'll want to see you, Loren," Mum coaxes. "It's been ages since you've been in the same room."

"Thank you, Anne, but I've really got to be going. Brunch for your birthday was lovely, but now I've got to get back to Manchester."

"It will just take a moment, Lor. Let me go wake him."

"No, no. It's fine. Let him sleep. He's been around the world a number of times lately. I suspect he needs loads of rest."

"Well if you say so..." Mum starts. "Come give me a hug." Her voice becomes muffled as I assume she squishes her face into Loren's shoulder. "When will I see you again?"