06

As our Chemistry teacher, Miss Karen walked into the class and stood by the teacher's table at the class's front, every student got up and greeted her. I was quite grateful that our class captain, Daniel, didn't get to yell, 'Up stand...greet!' Is that how it goes anyway? Still, I appreciated the fact that he didn't.

Miss Karen could possibly be described as a true black beauty with ebony black skin, fine pink lips, and a body figure most ladies would kill for. Her choice of dressing-a white butterfly top and black palazzo-complemented her beauty. Students, including myself, usually wondered why she wasn't married yet. Well, as most Nigerians would say, God's time is the best.

"Good morning. Have your seats please." She smiled, brushing aside some strands of her black wig. "How are you today?"

As usual, Folashade, being the liveliest girl, yelled out an answer. "We're fine ma!"

This made miss Karen's smile to widen. Aside the fact that I liked Chemistry as a subject, I liked how she (miss Karen) was free with us unlike most other teachers in the school. Right from the time she became our chemistry teacher in SS1 first term, I've looked forward to her classes. She always made sure every student understood what she taught even if it meant explaining a topic about five times. A virtue that some teachers aren't blessed with.

"So you're now our mouthpiece." I heard Omotola sneer behind me.

I swear if I had noticed that this girl was sitting at my back, I would have chosen another place to sit the day of resumption. Omotola was nothing but an overly annoying teenage girl, a huge lover of attention and a typical troublemaker. I personally could testify to that. To be honest, I'm surprised she hasn't tried troubling me for the past five days. Now it's Friday and the first week of resumption is almost over, I wonder if she's going to do something.

I glanced at Amara who only shook her head at Omotola. I could tell how bad she wanted to comment on Omotola's statement.

"I'm not our class's mouthpiece, Tola. I was only replying our Chemistry teacher. And I don't see anything wrong in it." Folashade folded her arms. "You could have answered too if you wanted to."

Even though I couldn't see her face, I could tell she had her face in a scowl as she said, "Yeah, whatever."

"Yeah, what-"

Miss Karen stopped Folashade's attempt at mimicking Omotola as she clapped her hands to silence them both. "That's enough, you girls." She grabbed her marker and turned to the board to rule margins before adding, "Tola, there was no need for what you said; Shade, there are times you have to ignore people's comments."

I looked at Folashade who sunk in her chair. It didn't stop her from eyeing Omotola. "Ok ma."

Omotola didn't even bother to acknowledge our teacher's advice, however.

Miss Karen wrote the subject, Chemistry, on the board and the topic for the day. As she wrote the words, Collision Theory, a smile tugged at my lips. Then I turned to Nathan who was already grinning at me. My heart neatly jumped out of my chest.

If you want to show a sign knowing don't grin like that abeg!

The best feeling, nevertheless, is the foreknowledge of a topic while your mates are just hearing about it for the first time. Bliss, that's what it is. I want only just for that though. I really liked having an idea of what teachers are about to teach, so whenever they teach, I'll end up following smoothly.

"So, does anyone have an idea of what today's topic is about?"

Now, the worst feeling, however, is that which you feel when a question is asked and you know the answer while there's this sense of indecisiveness within you-whether to answer it or not. I currently felt the worst feeling.