17

Ms Sunshine strolled into the room, and our classmates went silent. Like her name, our biology teacher practically was a sunshine. Her smile exposed the dimples on either side of her cheeks. The other young male teachers pined for her because of this beauty of hers and character, or so I heard. All that aside, when it came down to doing her job, she was one of the strict teachers in our school. Besides allowing students like us to relate with her beyond student-teacher level.

She dumped a stack of papers, which I guessed were our test papers, on the inbuilt table at the front, and observed us with her hands now on her hips. Today was one of the few days she came without her cane.

"Do you think I didn't do well?" Amara whispered, tapping her right foot on the ground in anticipation.

"I think you did great." I smiled. "I think everybody did okay. And she didn't even bring her cane today. So stop biting your nails."

She put her hands back on her laps as if she just realized that her finger nails were at the mercy of her teeth.

Daniel turned, giving Amara an assuring nod, a smile, and a subtle thumbs up. "Kaira is right. Why are you stressing yourself? Besides this isn't our midterm test."

Ms Sunshine clapped her hands, the class going silent at the sudden sound. "It's a bright day, isn't it, guys?"

"Me all I'm seeing are clouds o," Saheed grumbled from the corner of the class where he sat.

"Don't worry." Ms Sunshine said, walking in between the columns of tables and chairs. "Y'all didn't fail, but that doesn't mean I'm happy with some scores."

"That means some of us didn't do well," Folashade said just as our teacher passed her side. "Since you're not happy with some scores."

"Well, yes."  Ms Sunshine nodded. "Y'know, the reason I give you tests like this is to ensure you're acquainted with your notes and textbooks. I'm not doing this because I want to be wicked to or see all of you fail. And I've even been doing this since you guys graduated to senior class, so I don't understand why I'm not getting the right results."

"You want us to cram?" Tola asked in a bitter tone behind me, making Ms Sunny lift her brows as she made her say to our sitting area.

"No, madam. Not cram. Ever. I want all of you to read and understand. To the point that if you take an unplanned test, you'll get good scores because you can answer from memory. By heart."

"Biology? Is that even possible?" Tola scoffed.

"Omotola, it's okay na," Zarah said and Tola hissed, ignoring her.

"Don't bother yourself, Zarah." Miss Sunny smiled and gazed down at Tola, the smile fading away. "For your information, young lady, you shouldn't talk to your teacher in this manner. That I allow my students to be free with me doesn't give you liberty to be disrespectful. Neither should you talk like that because I'm not as old as your mother. You'll respect me, and I'll respect you. So, I don't need you talking anyhow. If you have anything to say, be civil about it. Am I cleared?"

"Yes ma."

My smile, I couldn't stop it.

"Thank you." Ms Sunny resumed walking. "And to burst your bubbles, my dear, there are people that performed very well in the test. To show you that it won't take heaven and earth to pass. And it won't kill you."

"Let me guess, Kaira is part." Tola mumbled.

Seriously? What the heck.

A vein seemed to snap in my head. Perhaps in Amara's, who glared at the human being behind me. If looks could kill…