23

It's been five solid months since my last update, but I want everyone to know that I haven't forgotten my characters at all. Their story means a great deal to me as much as my readers do, but stuff has been eating up most of my time, sadly. With the little chance and motivation I had, I wrote this chapter (so, some parts may seem...well...), and without taking more of your time, I present you Chapter 23❤️✨

• NATHAN •

Open day...I wasn't particularly excited about it. No, maybe I was, or was I? My chest held more weight than it should while my stomach did merry-go-rounds as I tried to understand my feelings.

Still figuring out if I should be in school this morning, I tapped my left foot over and over against the marbled finish of Lola's parlor, waiting for my cousins and aunt to get done with their almost never-ending preparation. I was never late for anything, but today the whole family seemed to be hell bent on ruining what I might call a new experience.

Lifting my left arm, I checked the time...well, fuck.

"Lola, what's going on?" My deep voice broke the quiet of the living area as I was alone, sitting on the nice and comfortable leather sofa. Only if anxiety wasn't tying me down, I would've turn on the flat screen TV staring blankly at me.

"Adelewa is looking for her favorite socks," said Lola as she hopped down the stairs. Sweat stuck her wig to her forehead despite the entire house being fully air-conditioned. As if sensing my eyes on the wig, she peeled it off and dumped it on the coffee table.

"How so?"

"Are you asking me?" My aunt said, now rummaging the room for little pieces of clothing, ones which could easily be replaced.

Unbelieving, I sighed and closed my eyes, slouching into the sofa. Lewa, my fourteen year old cousin—whom I usually regarded as my sister—had many problems, but the number one being she hated not getting what she wanted, how she wanted it. God help me if the socks weren't even in this house anymore.

"What are you doing?" Motherly hands slapped my thighs. "Oya, get up from there and assist in the search."

I jolted. "Wh-why should I? I always tell her to be careful with her stuff, y'know." My share just liked being scatterbrained and careless, since she deluded herself into thinking that boys found it cute. Not this boy here, though.

Aunt Lola had this warning glare in her eyes, the type my mom used in getting my lazy ass to start working. Nigerian mothers... I just knew, when Lola talked about the missing socks, I'd be involved in the search.

"Fine, fine." I dared not heave a loud sigh in this situation.

Ten minutes of peeking under pillows, crawling below tables, and moving sofas away, I stood before the nervously smiling Adelewa who had her complete uniform on, from her school hat down to her favorite socks and shoes. I would've called her cute–much to her liking–if she hadn't stressed the heck out of me this morning.

The most frustrating part of it all was how I found the sock lying directly underneath Lewa's lttle bed. For goodness sakes, she told me she had checked that location already.

"I apologize...sincerely." She pulled a pair of puppy's eyes on me. I rolled mine. Her plea wouldn't have appeased me but for time running out and her little sister hugging my waist.

"Don't be angry at Lewa mama," Ebun pleaded, her small hands wrapped round my body still.

Her soft braids tickled my palm as I patted her little brown head and poked her soft, little nose. "I won't be angry with Adelewa."