03

By the time I was home, I fell lazily on my bed with my things in a huge mess. The events of the day replayed in my head like a tape. Amara, ever the jovial one, eventually, in a proper way, introduced herself to the new guy-Nathan-and forced me also during lunch break. There's no saying, I would have ended up doing it anyway. Totally unavoidable when the person being introduced to is your seat neighbour or partner.

"How was school today?" Kossi, my elder sister, asked me, sitting on my bed without caring about the invisible daggers my eyes shot at her. "My friend answer me biko (please)."

I ignored her as I unpacked my bag, separating the textbooks from the notebooks; the ones with assignments from the ones without assignments. A mild scream escaped my lips when I felt a sharp pain on my thigh. She pinched me. "What!?" I frowned.

"See me see wahala o."

"Ehen (so) what?"

She rolled her eyes and said, "You should even be happy that I decided to come to this, this room of yours Kairayochukwu Adelaide Okorie."

"It's not like I told you to come here. And it's also not like I chose to have the names I bear."

"Geez, Kaira. Take a chill pill. Who put a stick up your ass?" She laughed.

"Hm, maybe the person who's name starts with a K?"

"So you put a stick up your own ass? Wonderful." She clapped, faking amusement.

"Argh! Kossi please just leave me alone. hapụ m biko(leave me alone please)."

"Oya calm down ah. Can't I joke with you again?"

I shook my head. "The joke was too much o."

"Ndo, nwanyị ọma (sorry, good girl)."

"Apology accepted." I smiled, sitting my things aside so I could lie on my bed well. "What were you saying before self?"

"I was asking how school was today."

"Eh, school was okay. Nothing really special happened. The first day of school wasn't as eventful as I had thought it would be." I didn't hesitate to say. I didn't even pause to think again of how everything was.

"Is that so?"

"Yes?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

A smirk played on her pink lips. "Amarachi happened to tell me something quite the opposite and I wonder why."

Oh my. Amara exaggerated things to a fault. My greatest mistake was letting Kossi know that Amara was my best friend. Now the two talked to each other like they've been friends since the life before.

"I wonder why also."

"The boy was Nathan, right?" She arched a brow.

"Yes-no, what do you mean?"

"Ha! Caught you there." Her laughter nearly echoed in the silence.

"Asshat."

"Assyansh."

"What the hell!"

The words were practically the same thing. It's like saying buttbutt. And who the hell says those kind of things? My sister of course.

"Duh, I was being creative. Sue me."

"Save that for when I get enough money."

Her eyes widened. "You're really going to-"

"No, Kossisochukwu. No."

"Ah, I've missed this."

"You want me to ask what?" I played with the silver ring on my pinky. "What have you missed?"