12

Omotola and this guy named Jeffrey from the next class stood in a corner. They stayed in a very awkward position, almost like he was groping her or something. I couldn't clearly see them. However, what really caught my attention was the uncomfortable look on Tola's face.

Thanks to the area where I stood being away from their sight and their being carried away, they weren't aware that I saw them.

Strange.

What was even more strange was how Tola and the Jeffrey guy never talked much to each other. Even when we had combined classes. They always appeared to be people who could never click. They also didn't have the same group of friends. So how did this come to be? I was aware of how students hung around and did silly things from time to time. I knew too that Tola could be one of those people. What I didn't know was that Jeffery, of all the guys, was the one she'd chosen.

"It's none of your business," I said to myself and cancelled my trip to the library as I made my way back to my class.

It's none of my business. Even if she was once my friend.

Yes, it's none of my business.

When I got to class, Nathan and Daniel had the same I-thought-you-weren't-coming-back look on their faces. Daniel, knowing me all too well, guessed something must have happened for me to change my mind so suddenly. And being the person that didn't like gossiping about people (that aren't my friends), I decided against telling him what I saw.

"Stop lying. I know when you set your mind on something, you do it. Stop lying and tell me the real reason you came back." Daniel folded his arms across his chest and sat on my table.

"There's no reason for real. That setting my mind on something and doing it thing is only for huge stuff. Life changing stuff. Not deciding not to go to the library anymore."

"Hmm." He studied my face. "Na so."

"I'm serious, for God's sake," I said, keeping a straight face.

"If you say so then." He got off my table. "But if you end up coming to tell me about it, I won't listen."

I actually might end up telling him.

"Yeah, whatever." I rolled my eyes.

Nathan stared at me with his head cocked to the side as of he was trying to read my expression. I ignored him and began taking out my books for the day.

Soon, other students began walking into the class as the time for assembly drew near. Amara wasn't among them, however. The one time I needed her to be in school early, she wasn't. When Omotola walked into the class, she had her usual dry look on her face. Almost like she wasn't the person I saw at the staircase showing discomfort.

I didn't want her to notice the way I watched her, so I rested my head on the table pretending to read my Biology textbook. I didn't even like Biology. For a fact, I despised the subject. Was it a must for someone to know the concentration of blood cells in the body? Or the number of bones in certain mammals like rabbits? Or how the blood clots in the body?

Hell no.

Just as Omotola sat behind me, I sighed and closed the book shut. Just looking at the diagram of intestines in the text book made my breakfast turn in my stomach.

"Ugh." I tucked it into my bag.

"Dramatic much?"

"I'm not dramatic, Nathan." I sighed, bringing out my maths textbook instead. "I just can't stand it."

"It's just a picture."

I snorted. "Yeah, I thought it was a video."

"A video is a picture in motion."