08

"Since you chose truth,"-pause-"Why is Daniel ignoring you?" I folded my arms and perked up my brows.

She pursed her lips, bit them, and then smiled. "Now I see why you wanted us to play truth or dare. Nice one, Kaira. Nice one."

I feigned innocence like I always did when shying away from an accusation. "Ah ahn, why would I do that? After all, it's not like we don't usually play truth or dare on Friday nights."

Narrowing her eyes at me, she said, "How can I be sure you didn't have this planned? You're very smart."

"Because I'm saying so, haba!" Just becoming aware of her last statement, I perked the corner of my lips upwards. "Thanks for the compliment."

"I can't and don't know what's going on in that head of yours."

"But I'm telling you what's in it, aren't I?"

"Fine, whatever." She knew we clearly weren't getting anywhere with the conversation. "Ehn, Daniel asked me how I feel towards him."

She paused, eyes studying my facial expression. I knew she wanted me to do anything-say anything, as long as I reacted to her statement. I wasn't going to do that when I had a hunch it'll come to this at some point.

She furrowed her brows. "Why aren't you saying anything? I was expecting a reaction from you."

I confessed, "I'm actually not surprised."

"Why?"

"Well, duh. You guys practically act like lovebirds all the time."

She scratched her already rough braids. We planned on plaiting our hairs when we get back from church on Sunday. "That's a lie. Isn't that how you act with him too?"

"Abeg o, I only see him as a brother-unlike you."

"Whatever do you mean?"

"Ask me one more time, ode. Don't even pretend."

"Don't insult me, and I'm not pretending. I only play around with him."

Even if she felt something, she had it tucked away and hidden in the safe of the dark. I couldn't make out whether she was speaking the truth or a lie. But I could see the way she fiddled with her fingers.

"Are you serious? Or are you just using the tactics of lying to yourself and me in order to remain in denial?"

Her voice became louder. "Denial of what, baayi?"

"Just think about it." I shrugged.

She had a pointed look. "And since when did you start giving advice?"

"It's only for my own good." I shrugged once more so it would seem that I didn't care, whereas I did. I really did. "I don't want to cringe all day when I'm with you guys or feel weird while the tension builds up between you. So, it would be better if you two fixed your issues before Monday."

"Right." She let out a long sigh. "It would be so awkward. Now that you're saying it, I honestly don't know what to tell him."

"Tell him exactly how you feel."

"And what if it breaks him?"

"It depends on what you tell him. And besides que sera, sera." I traced the last three words in the air.

"Kaira!"

"What?"

"He's our friend. Don't just say that na."

"Of course, I know he's our friend. It's only going to break him if he has feelings and those feelings are unrequited." I paused, "Or, did he say he likes you?"