10

"What kind of favour exactly?"

Daniel took in a sharp breath. "I just want you to keep this between us. Please, no matter what, do not let Amara know this. I'll even do anything for you, but please don't not let what I told you today get to Amara's ears."

Oops. He has no idea.

I stared at the shapes etched on the ceiling as I tried to keep my laughter in. Amara practically heard everything-from how he confessed to how he kind of praised her. Only if he knew how I even made things easier.

"And if I said I won't? What if I don't need anything from you?"

Amara tapped my shoulder. She gestured for me to let her speak with Daniel. The dread of the unknown on her face had been replaced with a new sense of confidence and happiness.

I shook my head. They would talk but not with me in the room.

"Oh, don't do this to me, Kaira. Years of friendship is on the line here. I can't bear losing a friend like her. Tell me, what would she think? How would she react? I can't ruin things just because I like her."

"Dan, have you ever thought for once? About how, maybe, she likes you back."

He paused, his quick breath intakes fillng the speaker. "It's not possible. She's carefree with me, yeah. Just as she is with everyone else. I don't want to mess it all up. If it's only as a friend that I can be with her then fine. I'm okay with that."

Poor guy doesn't know...

"Oh, Daniel." I sighed.

"What?"

"Nothing," I said. It was time. "Don't be shocked when I tell you this, abeg."

"What? What is it?"

"Actually..."

Amara nodded for me to go on. She was ready.

"Kaira, answer me. You're not helping."

Oh, but I am.

"Daniel, Amara is at my place."

"She is?" He asked then as if realization dawned, he continued, "Oh, no, no. Don't tell me."

"Yes, she's been listening to our conversation all along."

"Fuck, no. Amara? You can hear me right? Please don't hate me. I swear we can still be friends. I'll pretend to not like you. I'll hide my feelings in a safe."

Amara laughed hard. I could tell how relieved she was. "Dan, it's fine."

"Eh?"

"You...you heard me." She drew closer and I gave her my phone. "It's okay. In fact, I've liked you and still do."

"Wh...what? You do?"

"I do, ode. I'm also an idiot. Please let's not make this awkward. I like you a lot. And I know that it's a shock for us but it doesn't change anything. It shouldn't change anything."

That was my cue to leave. I smiled at Amara who grinned from ear to ear, while she whispered her gratitude before continuing with her conversation. I nodded and left.

Mission accomplished. Nothing beats a great sense of accomplishment.

I was happy for them. Even if I knew I would face the consequences. One, by being a thirdwheel. Two, by being left alone after school hours. Yes, Amara said nothing would change between them. Although they might not be aware of it in the long run, they'd end up leaving me out sometimes. I had a hunch that it would happen.