19

"You're done?" Daniel asked as I walked out of our classroom into the nearly empty hallway. "How was it?"

It.

It was a subject that managed to give me a hard time, even more than Biology ever did. Despite the continuous efforts I've been putting into studying further maths, I always ended up getting less than I'd planned. Wanting my F/maths marks to be within the same range as other subjects was almost like chasing a pipe dream.

It didn't stop me from trying, though. I had a reason for that. 

But halfway through with the test, frustration crawled into my body, irritatingly finding solace there. And what did I do when I couldn't get anywhere with the last pregnant question? I submitted my paper.

"Yeah, I'm done." I slung my bag on my left shoulder, holding the strap, already walking away from the classrooms.

"Hey." Daniel walked right beside me, joining me in leaving. "You didn't answer my other question."

I huffed out a loud sigh. "Further maths gave me a hard time, more than usual."

"No wonder your face looks  ugly," Daniel said, and my eyes immediately shot to his. He smiled with his hands up in surrender. I held in an annoyed groan. "I was kidding. You only look half as pretty-what?"

"You're really helping right now."

"I know...sorry na." Daniel playfully bumped his shoulder into mine. "You know that's a joke too."

I hummed in reply. Daniel didn't say anything at that till we reached the next floor.

"What happened to you?"

"Nothing."

"Are you sure?"

I nodded a yes.

"Will you follow me to the cafeteria to grab stuff to eat then?" He walked in front of me with his back facing the direction in which he was going. He jutted out his bottom lip in the most funny way, forcing a small laugh out of me. "Please?"

"Okay. Sha don't expand your lips and watch where you're going." I adjusted my bag on my shoulder, caving in to his request thanks to the display. "I and Kosi didn't even have time to prepare lunch this morning. And you're the one paying," I added.

"Girls and milking boys sha."

"Ok. I'll buy the food myself."

"Calms, Kaira. I just knew it," Daniel said, his eyes  boring holes into the side of my head. "What is it this time? It isn't entirely the F/maths, is it?"

I looked at Daniel, and seeing the serious  expression on his face, I sighed. He wouldn't drop it till he got my honest response. Why in the world did I end up allowing this boy to read me like a book?

"It's still the further maths," I told a white lie. "I made stupid, useless mistakes in my calculations. I'm sure it's going to reduce my marks. And I told our teacher that I'll do better this term."

"That's not all."

"Korede." I said his surname with a straight face.

How does he know me so well?

"Okorie."

I stopped in my tracks, making a cute face. With the unconvinced look Daniel was giving me, I realized my the face was anything but cute. "Daniel nau."

"I just want to know if it's what I'm thinking."

"And what are you thinking?"

"That you're still trying to prove your point to her," he said, hitting the nail right in the head.