Chapter 9 - Dog Star

Severus was startled out of a light doze some hours later by a harsh voice. "What are you doing here?" Severus opened his eyes to find Sirius Black staring at him from the other side of Harry's bed.

"Keep your voice down," Severus ordered, glancing at Harry to assure himself that he was still safely asleep. Harry looked as if he hadn't moved at all, his face still too pale for Severus' liking.

"Answer my question," Black insisted.

"I should think it is self-explanatory," Severus told him. Sometimes Black's stupidity astounded him. He leaned forward to lightly touch Harry's forehead again, checking his skin temperature, while he caught hold of his wrist with his other hand to check his pulse.

"What are you doing?" Black demanded.

"That should also be self-explanatory," Severus growled in irritation. Harry felt slightly warm to the touch, but his pulse was fine. The potions they'd given him early should take care of any infection, but he suspected he'd need a few more before this was over.

"Is he . . .?" Black began, but trailed off uncertainly.

"Fine," Severus told him. "A minor infection I suspect, but we gave him something to counter that earlier."

"Why are you sitting with him instead of Poppy?" Black asked.

Finally a vaguely intelligent question from the man. "She has other patients, and I volunteered to sit with him."

But his answer obviously didn't satisfy Black. The man's eyes narrowed. "Why you?" he pressed again.

Severus glared up at him in irritation. "He's my bond-mate. I have every right to be here."

"This marriage is a joke and you know it," Black growled.

"And yet still quite legal," Severus pointed out. "Which is more than I can say for your guardianship since you're still a wanted criminal."

Black's eyes flashed with hatred. "Believe me, Snape, no one regrets that more than I do. Harry should be with someone who loves him. Instead he's been stuck with those monstrous Muggles, and now you."

"Love or not, you can't protect him," Severus reminded him.

"And I'm supposed to believe that you can?" Black asked incredulous. "That you would lift a finger to help James Potter's son?"

"Believe whatever the hell you like, Black," Severus sneered. "There's nothing you can do about it now."

Black's eyes went flat with fury. "Really?" the man growled, but a soft sound from Harry caught both their attention.

Harry's eyes flickered lightly and he turned toward his godfather, his eyes opening slowly. Without his glasses he had to squint to see who was looking at him, but when he realized whom it was a warm smile brightened his features. "Sirius," he whispered, his eyes shining with pleasure.

Severus felt something remarkably like jealousy flash through him, and it took him a moment to realize why. He wanted Harry to look at him like that. Complete pleasure at the sight of him. He sat there somewhat stunned by the revelation while Sirius Black leaned over the bed and gently hugged the young man lying there. How could he possibly want something so badly that a few weeks ago would have seemed completely ludicrous?

"Harry, how are you?" Sirius asked, gently stroking Harry's head, brushing his hair from his face. Harry seemed to lean into the comfort of his touch. The jealousy flared again, and Severus fought to squash it back down.

"Glad to see you," Harry admitted. "I missed you."

"I missed you too," Sirius told him. "I'm so sorry I haven't been here for you."