Chapter 53 - Polite Affections

When Harry headed down to the Great Hall for dinner the following evening, the last thing he expected was to come around a corner and find his two best friends locked in a heated embrace. They had obviously been waiting for him - this corridor was largely unused save by Severus and Harry on their way to and from the Great Hall. But apparently they'd found something to do other than talk during the wait. Harry stared at them in opened-mouth shock.

Illuminated in the torchlight he could see Hermione leaning against the stone wall of the corridor. Ron had his hands placed against the wall on either side of her head, his body leaning into hers as he kissed her deeply. At some point one of his hands moved to her hair, fingers tangling in the brown locks as he tilted her face upward for better access, his mouth moving hungrily against hers. From the looks of things it was obvious that Hermione found this unexpectedly aggressive behavior quite pleasing; a soft moan escaped her throat as she returned his kiss.

It was the second time in as many days that Harry had watched two people kissing, and just like with Charlie and Draco, Harry felt a flush of embarrassment sweep over him. He knew of course that Ron was crazy about Hermione, and that those feelings were more than returned. Certainly he'd watched the two of them dancing around one another long enough to expect such a thing - but the sight still caught him off guard. He couldn't help but wonder how many times the two of them had kissed like this? Hermione had implied not long ago that their relationship had not progressed this far.

But then again, they were sixteen and sixteen-year-olds were not known for their restraint. Perhaps their own Valentine's Day exchange had sparked some change between them?

As he watched, Harry felt something awake inside him - something more than just embarrassment. What would it be liked, he wondered, to be kissed like that? For one moment he tried to imagine himself in the same situation - and there he stumbled upon a roadblock.

Which position would he take? Ron's or Hermione's?

If someone were to kiss him. . . .someone. . .Severus perhaps, he wondered? He was married to Severus, and after the numerous sword lessons with a great deal of physical contact, he was beginning to think he might not be entirely opposed to the idea. Would he be the one pressed up against the wall like Hermione was, or he would he be the aggressor?

Images from the dreams he'd been having returned to him, stirring his body. The man in those dreams had been strong and powerful, manipulating his body with ease and skill. He'd felt overwhelmed in those dreams, his senses overpowered by taste and touch and the warmth of another body moving against his. Severus was strong, he thought, his body hard with well-earned muscles, and there was no passivity in his soul. He could not by any stretch of the imagination, picture Severus in Hermione's position. His heart fluttered in shock, as he wondered what it would be like to have Severus press against him like that, or like the man in his dream. Heat rushed through him, his face growing hot.

God, what was wrong with him? He wasn't . . . wasn't what, he asked himself? Wasn't gay? He'd pretty much come to the conclusion that he probably was - he was certainly attracted to men. To Severus at least - though how weird was that! His Potion Master, the bane of his existence! But there wasn't anyone in the world who had eyes as intense as Severus, and his voice. . .Harry shivered. His voice could melt steel. Hell, he even liked the scent of the man - at least his scent when he wasn't covered in strange potion fumes.

But what about Severus himself - was he even gay? For all he knew Severus liked tall, blond women instead of geeky looking Gryffindors.

A thought occurred to him and Harry felt himself stiffening in indignation. What if Severus had a girlfriend? Or a boyfriend for that matter? For all he knew the man might have been in a long-term relationship with someone for years now - it's not like they had ever talked about it. He spent so much time fretting over the fact that he had been forced to marry Severus, he'd forgotten the fact that Severus had also been forced to marry him. Certainly no one had bothered asking Severus that night so many months ago if he were already involved with someone else. For all he knew Severus could have a dozen lovers hidden away somewhere and Harry would never know it.