Chapter 41 - Feral

Harry entered the infirmary and moved silently passed Madam Pomfrey's office door, heading into the main ward toward the private room at the far end of the dorm where the Map had shown Remus to be. The door was locked, he noticed, but oddly enough, from the outside. Why on earth would Madam Pomfrey lock Remus in?

Flicking the latch he snuck inside. But as he approached the lone bed in the room, he realized that something was wrong - it was Remus certainly, but the man's arms and legs were bound down tightly to the frame of the bed with very thick iron manacles, holding him completely immobile. And the bed itself had been modified - the frame far heavier and thicker than the typical infirmary beds. Even the extraordinary strength of the werewolf would not free him from the bed or those manacles.

Alarmed, Harry moved swiftly toward the bed, intent of freeing the man. The full moon was still a week and a half away - why would they tie him up? What was going on?

But before he could reach Remus' side, the man himself spoke, his voice low and rough, more like a growl. "Do not touch me, Harry," he warned, stopping Harry in his tracks. He stared in shock as Remus slowly opened his eyes. They were not the warm, gentle amber eyes Harry was used to seeing - these were the cold, deadly eyes of the wolf.

He'd seen Remus' eyes flash this color once or twice - understood that they were brief moments when the wolf inside him grew strong and angry. But it had never been more than a quick flash of awareness before the man returned and the eyes regained their natural color. That was not happening now.

"Remus?" he whispered. "Your eyes are yellow." The very same color that Severus' had been. What was wrong? Had they been attacked last night?

"I know, Harry," Remus whispered. "I've gone feral. I've lost control of the wolf. I'm trying to contain it, but I don't know if I can."

"I don't understand?" Harry wanted to reach out and touch the man, soothe some of the pain and rage he saw in his face.

"I told you once Harry that werewolves don't handle jealousy well," he growled softly. "We have calm and we have enraged. There is no in between. And I can't seem to get back to the calm."

"You know about. . ." Harry began, only to break off when Remus suddenly tensed and began fighting against the bonds around him. But the fit only lasted a moment and Harry suspected he was exhausted.

"Yes," Remus said softly. "I know about the marriage proposal."

"Remus, Sirius will never marry Draco," Harry insisted. "You know that!"

"He will die if he does not," Remus told him looking momentarily heart broken. And then his face twisted into a vicious snarl. "And I will kill the Malfoy family if I get loose!"

"Remus!" Harry cried. "You're not a killer! Control yourself!"

Again Remus fought against the bonds before collapsing once more. "You shouldn't be here, Harry," he told him weakly. "It's not safe."

"You won't hurt me," he said with conviction.

"It's dangerous to be around a feral werewolf," Remus whispered. "Our mood can infect those around us. I cannot stay here. I'm no longer safe. I can't remain around people. I can't be trusted."

"Slytherin's potion will cure you," Harry reminded him hopefully.

For a moment Remus looked confused as if he had forgotten about the potion - Remus who prided himself on his intellect and knowledge. "The potion, yes, the potion might cure me, might push the madness back."

"It will be alright, Remus," Harry agreed.

"Sirius will be married by then," Remus said then, a hopelessness filling his eyes. "Will you tell him I'm sorry, Harry?" he begged. "Will you tell him I'm sorry I waited so long?"