Chapter 74 - The Setting Sun

Anna Granger shuddered violently as she woke with a start, momentarily disoriented when she realized she was slumped in a most undignified manner in her office chair. For one strange moment she would have sworn that Harry Potter was standing there in the room beside her but when she shook her head she realized that it was only old Mr. Paddison, sitting across from her in the visitor's chair set before her desk.

"My apologies, Mr. Paddison," she exclaimed in mortification - had she actually fallen asleep while talking to the old man? She shook her head to clear the fog that still lingered in her mind before focusing her attention back on her client. The old man had managed to crack several teeth but was being stubborn about getting them repaired. She'd been trying to convince him that it wasn't cosmetic in nature - it needed to be done for the overall health of his teeth.

"Mr. Paddison?" she said again when she realized that the man had not answered her. Frowning she stared at her client - the old man was slumped in his chair, apparently as deeply asleep as she had been only moments ago.

Frowning, Anna rose from her seat and moved around her desk, reaching out to shake the old man's shoulder. When he did not stir, she shook him again harder. He slumped forward and she barely managed to catch him before he hit his forehead on her desk. "Mr. Paddison!" she cried in alarm, setting the man back in his seat. She shook him again, roughly this time as she called his name. Alarm washed through her when she still got no response.

Holding the man in place with one hand, she struck the intercom button on her phone. "Lisa! Something is wrong with Mr. Paddison. I need some help in here!"

When her secretary failed to answer, she struck the button again. "Lisa!" she called urgently. Though evening, it was still too early for her secretary to have gone home. Their offices stayed open until eight that evening.

When there was still no response, Anna quickly propped Mr. Paddison up in his seat, and then rushed toward the door. "Lisa!" she shouted as she yanked open the office door. Despite the hour, there were no sounds coming from the hallway beyond.

"Lisa? Kathy?" she called out to the dental hygienist who should be in the room next door cleaning Mrs. Bradford's teeth. Though the door was open she could hear nothing coming from the room.

Frowning worriedly back at Mr. Paddison, Anna stepped across the hallway and looked into the exam room. Her eyes widened in shock at the sight. Kathy was lying on the floor of the exam room, Mrs. Bradford dozing quietly in the dental chair.

"Kathy!" Anna exclaimed as she rushed to the woman's side, feeling immediately for a pulse at the woman's neck. Kathy was young and healthy and her heart was beating steadily beneath her fingers. Bewildered, Anna shook Kathy's shoulder and called her name. When she got no response, she stood up and shook Mrs. Bradford. But nothing she did woke either woman.

Panicking now, Anna rushed down the hall toward the main reception room where Lisa and the other secretary sat. She skidded to a halt at the sight that greeted her. Lisa was slumped over her desk, snoring quietly, as was the other secretary Monique, though she was holding the phone in her hand. Through the reception window Anna could see into the waiting room where three other people were waiting to be seen - all of them were slumped in their chairs, unmoving. There was a little girl lying on the floor next to a small doll.

Frightened now, Anna began shaking the other women, trying to wake them. She could feel strong steady heartbeats, but nothing would stir them from their slumber.

A loud ding reverberated through the room and Anna jumped in shock. She stared at the elevator across the main reception room. A moment later the door slid open, and she let out a cry of relief when she saw Michael stepping out of the lift. Rushing through the side hallway she headed into the reception area to greet her husband. Michael stepped forward, maneuvering around the body of the little girl, and caught hold of Anna in a tight hug.